Chapter One

Garroth's POV

I hear the door open from downstairs. I don't question it because I know it's either Zane or Kawaii~Chan. She's been coming over a lot lately. I mean, rightfully so. Zane and KC are dating now.

I don't really mind them. They don't display a lot of PDA so their relationship doesn't affect me. Zane and I have been getting along more over this past year. The reasoning is...complicated, but it makes mummy and dad happy to see us talking again. They used to be so worried we'd never get along. We used to not hang out at all, but Zane preferred to be in his room alone growing up so I didn't bother him. Plus, he used to cling to Aphmau a lot so at times I was the one keeping my distance.

A soft knocking at my door interrupts my thoughts. Again, I just assume it's Zane and tell them to enter. I look up from the screen of my laptop to the door when I hear the knob turn and the door open.

The door opens fully and an extremely familiar face appears. He still has the same mischievous smile I've known since Freshman year. The light brown mess on the top of his head doesn't look like it's been brushed properly in years. His ever familiar sky blue eyes glow brightly, as if he finds humor in everything around him. He probably does, if I'm being honest.

"Laurance?" I push the laptop off me and sit up. He enters the room; the door closes slightly behind him. "You're back."

"Yep. Didn't expect to be gone for that long but I guess I needed more time than I thought," he says, sitting down on the other end of the bed. "How long's it been?"

"2 years."

"Feels like only a couple months."

"Laurance, where were you? You never texted us or anything. Everyone was worried sick about you."

"That's a surprise. The only people who tried to call me were you and Cadenza. Everyone else texted me once and never tried again." He leans back against the wall and closes his eyes.

"Really? Aphmau said she texted you over a million times."

He doesn't speak for a good two minutes. I can't tell exactly what he's thinking. Then again, I never have. The thing about Laurance is that he's good at hiding his emotions. He's spontaneous and usually doesn't think about what he's about to say. That's how he was able to flirt with her so easily. I tended to over think everything I said and that resulted in me not talking as much.

"She did," he says suddenly. His eyes open again but he doesn't seem to be staring at anything. It's almost like he was somewhere else, like he left half of himself in wherever he's been for the past two years. This isn't like him.

"Aph was the only one who seemed to care."

"That really shouldn't surprise you," I say. His eyes drift over to me. "Heart of gold, remember?"

Laurance smirks and nods in agreement. He knows exactly what I'm talking about when I say that. I grab the laptop again and start typing.

"What're you up to?" he asks, motioning to the laptop.

"Boring adult stuff," I reply. He smiles again and stares back at the wall. "Where did you go when you were gone those two years?"

"Brightport...Nahkara...and there was one more place but I forget the name... I think it was where your college was?"

"FlaconClaw?"

"Yeah, that's it."

"Why those places?"

"They're quiet. Didn't know anyone there. I was able to...start over, I guess."

I nod. I understand what he means...the need to start over.