Chapter Nineteen

Laurance's POV

"Laurance~"

His voice sends shivers down my spine. That threatening, malicious, and condescending tone he always uses when he sees me. My breath is caught in my throat.

"W-Where's Cadenza?" My voice shakes.

"Why does it matter? You shouldn't care what happens to her. She isn't even related to you."

"Where is she?"

His deep and villainous chuckle echoes through my mind, bouncing off the walls of my skull. My heart jumps into my throat.

Keep your composure.

He takes a step forward, that damn smirk present on his lips.

"What will you do if I don't tell, hm?"

...

"Thought so. You don't have the guts to disobey me, do you?"

I blink away tears.

"So, you'll do anything to protect that dumb 'sister' of yours, right?"

Fight back, Laurance!

"Right?"

I nod and he grins, red eyes gleaming in the dark.

"Good boy. Meet me outside after lights out. If not-" He makes a cutting motion across his throat with his thumb. "Understand?"

I nod so fast the world spins.

"Don't disappoint me, Laurance."

His figure disappears and Cadenza replaces him, looking at me with a stern and angry look in her eyes.

"You got in another fight?! My Irene, what is wrong with you? No one's gonna want to adopt us at this rate. I should just ask them to let me leave without you."

"I'm sorry."

"'Sorry' won't cut it, Laurance! One more fight and you're on your own. Come find me when you're done being a juvenile delinquent."

She sighs in distress: "Who would even want a fifteen year old girl anyway? With a thirteen year old delinquent brother, no less..?"

The tears return as he moves forward with an obvious fake limp.

"C-Cad..."

"Oh baby..." She hugs him. "You poor thing. Don't worry, I'll take care of you."

The red eyes pierce through me.

"Her life is in your hands, Laurance. Don't be the reason it ends."

I sit up quick and look around, not recognizing the room I'm in. My breaths are quick as I imagine the worst, when I suddenly realize where I am: Scaleswind. Scaleswind. His home.

Tears sting my eyes as I reach for my phone, dialing Cad and trying to calm myself down some. It doesn't work at all.

Please pick up...

"Laurance? Do you even realize what time it is right now?"

"Cad!" A short burst of relief floods through me, but disappears quick. "I-I know... I-I'm sorry. I just...needed to hear your voice."

There's a pause before she responds: "You had another nightmare about him, didn't you?"

I nod, realizing she can't see me, so I say, "Y-Yeah..."