Chapter Forty Three

Garroth's POV

Stepping outside, I feel the winter air finally getting warmer. Spring is just around the corner and it couldn't have come sooner. I'd forgotten how cold the house could get at night, though it's easier to manage with a warm Laurance beside you.

Anyway, spring is coming and everyone on the street is ready to leave the cold behind. Even Taco seems to be getting sick of it.

My phone buzzes in my pocket and I don't even have to look to know it's Aphmau. She's been texting me for the past ten minutes, pestering me to come over to her house and talk about something.

I know. Not suspicious at all, right?

Honestly, I don't have a good feeling about this, but if I delay it, it'll only make it worse.

So, hesitantly, I walk up the steps of Aphmau's house and knock at the door. It only takes a few seconds for the door to swing open, revealing Aphmau with a mischievous glint in her eye.

Uh oh.

"There you are! Finally! Come in, we have much to discuss!"

"Why do I feel like you have malicious intent?"

"Because I do." She laughs. "Now, come on, slowpoke!"

She yanks me into the house and drags me into the living room, sitting me on the couch. I don't try to fight her. She can be extremely stubborn when she needs to be. Plus, her nails are as sharp as claws.

"What do you want to drink?" she asks and I raise an eyebrow.

"You really forgot? After all the years I've known you?"

She smiles: "Well, maybe your tastes changed during your trip. After all, your sexuality sure did."

Thump.

"Care to enlighten me about your relationship with Laurance?"

"I...I have no idea what you're talking about." I cross my arms and avert my eyes, trying to ignore the growing blush.

"Oh, sure you don't. Don't try to ignore the fact that you were holding his hand the other day..."

"That...that was just--"

"...and playing with his hair during the game..."

"I--"

"...the celebratory kiss on the cheek when he beat Dante..."

"It wasn't--"

"...and, lastly, the cute matching bracelets you two never seem to take off."

My hand flies to my wrist, covering the little, engraved, metal circle I refuse to take off. The blush gets warmer.

"It...was a gift...for Christmas..."

"Garroth."

I lift my eyes to her smirking face in front of me. My fingers fidget with the bracelet in an attempt to ignore the growing warmth across my face.

"What?"

Her smile doesn't falter as she says, "You're in love with him, aren't you?"

I don't have to respond. She knows me too well. Even if I tried to lie, she'd see right through it.

Aphmau's great at reading people which is a huge disadvantage for me right now.

"Thought so." She laughs again, ruffling my hair. "I'll grab drinks. Be right back."