Chapter Forty Nine

"What time is it?" I ask and Laurance pulls out his phone.

"Almost two."

"Why did I have to wake up so early this morning?"

Laurance chuckles: "Blame your brother. He's the one who started it."

"I'm sure Zane will have a different answer."

"Because he's out to get me! It's not my fault!"

"Mmhm."

"You don't sound like you believe me, Gar."

I roll my eyes: "You keep provoking him. He'd leave you alone if you actually paid attention to your alarm."

"I-!" He pauses, then sighs in defeat. "Fine. I give."

I chuckle and we head upstairs. My eyelids feel like lead and I can barely keep them open. We step onto the landing and I see Laurance staring at me from the corner of my eye. I fight the blush, but it comes anyway.

"I'll, um, see you tomorrow, I guess..." he says and there's this sinking feeling in my heart. I kinda hoped he was going to ask if we could sleep in the same room, like we used to, but I guess that's not happening. Too soon...

"Y...Yeah..." The awkwardness between us is so obvious.

...

...

...I really want to kiss him again.

"Well..." He places his hand on the doorknob to his room. "...night, Garroth."

"Night, Laurance."

He's obviously hesitating, maybe waiting for the same thing I am. There's no way either of us are going to bed at this rate...

...so why not throw common sense out the window for a second?

Without a second thought, I lean over and give him a quick kiss on the cheek. I don't wait to see his reaction so I slip into my room, panicked, and mutter a quick, "see you tomorrow". Before I shut the door, I notice the red blush and dorky grin spreading across his face.

I lean against the door, heart racing and my face feeling as bright, if not brighter, than Laurance's was.

I love him so much...

It feels so good to finally not be in denial about it. I love him... and he knows that now... Thank Irene.

I decide I should at least get ready for bed, even if I know I'm going to be awake for a lot longer. Though, even as I'm changing and getting ready, I still can't stop thinking about him. Thinking about how much I want him in the same room. Constantly. It feels like I can't even go thirty minutes without being in the same vicinity as him.

I've got it bad, don't I?

Lying in bed now, staring at the ceiling, I can't help but feeling cold. Missing Laurance's warmth. Missing his arms wrapped around me and his disheveled morning hair. The way he falls asleep, this adorable smile just barely noticeable upon his pink lips and the way he holds me like he's afraid I'm going somewhere during the night. Then, the way he wakes up in the morning: his bright blue eyes opening halfway and upon seeing me, a still sleepy but honestly genuine smile forming immediately on his face that always brightens up my whole day.

Why do I already miss him when I literally just saw him a minute ago?

Suddenly, there's a quiet knock on my door and my heart leaps in my chest. I throw off my covers and reach for the doorknob, pulling it open to see a surprised but happy Laurance staring back at me, wearing his pine green pajama shirt and black sweats. He rubs the back of his neck out of nerves and my heart rate increases as I wait for what he's about to say.