Chapter Thirty

Laurance's POV

As soon as the dog food is in his bowl, Taco flies towards it, the wooden floor making it nearly impossible for him to have any traction. I snicker slightly as he slides over to the bowl, barely stopping himself from crashing into it.

We need to get more carpets, I think to myself, flopping onto the couch. I woke up a bit earlier than normal, so Garroth's still asleep. It wasn't a nightmare or anything, I just randomly woke up.

My phone buzzes on the coffee table and I pick it up, only to see Cadenza's contact calling me. I smile and accept.

"Hey, Cad," I greet. "What's up?"

"Oh, nothing much," she replies. "Just hanging with Caleb."

"Put him on the phone!" I exclaim, sitting up as Cad laughs.

"Alright alright. One minute."

There's shuffling on her line before the high-pitched voice of my baby brother pipes up.

"Laaauuu!" He giggles and my smile grows wider.

"Hey, little bud! Is Cad annoying you yet?"

He giggles again and Cadenza gasps, offendedly. I chuckle. Taco scampers off into Garroth's room.

"I am not annoying! If anything, he's been bugging me!"

"You're rubbing off on him."

"No, you are!"

"Ah ah, jokes on you, you've been around him longer. Ha! Laurance wins again!"

"Hehe! Ya!"

"Not helping, Caleb!"

I laugh when someone knocks on the front door. Slightly confused and mildly suspicious, I get up off of the couch.

"One sec, guys. Someone's at the door."

"Oh, no problem."

I grab the door handle and pull it open, only to see the two people I was just talking to in person. I nearly drop the phone.

"Hey, little brother," Cadenza greets, ending our phone call.

"LAU!" Caleb cheers, wanting me to pick him up. I put my phone away and grab him.

"Hey, kid. What in the world are you two even doing here?" I ask Cad.

"Oh? So, we're not allowed to just miss our brother and want to see him?" Cadenza crosses her arms.

"That's not what I meant. I just...you don't usually come find me unless you need something, Cadenza."

"That's not true!"

I chuckle, bouncing Caleb in my arms.

"Well, if you must know, mom and dad wanted me to take Caleb on a little trip while they spent time with the farm. Caring for him and the farm was stressing them, so I took him for a little while."

"Okay, but how did you even find me?" I question. "No one knows besides Vylad and-"

"Hey, Cadenza."

"-Garroth..."

I turn my head to see him smiling from his bedroom doorway. He giggles as I stare at him with a 'really?' expression.

"She's not gonna talk. I made sure," he says, walking over and giving her a hug. "Good to see you, Cad."

"You too, Garroth. It's been too long."