Chapter Four

Garroth's POV

Loud music plays from the speaker in front of Dante's house. Everyone in the neighborhood is out tonight. Well, almost everyone.

"Yo, Garroth!" I hear someone call me. I turn my head and see Travis approaching.

"Hey, Travis. Didn't see you earlier helping out."

He laughs nervously and rubs the back of his neck.

"I was, uh, with Katelyn...?"

"You're as bad as Zane and KC," I say and he laughs again.

"Where is Katelyn anyway?" I ask and he points at one of the food tables. I see her talking to Aphmau and Kawaii~Chan with Aaron close by.

"I can't believe they're engaged," Travis says as I'm still looking at them. "Seems like only a few months ago they'd just told us they were together. You remember that day, Gar?"

I can't stop thinking about that day....

"Yeah. Wasn't really a huge surprise."

That's not a lie.

"Still, I never expected them to be together, you know? Their relationship was so...I dunno. Different, I guess."

"I know what you mean."

"You seem really quiet today, Gar," he comments and I look back at him. "What's up?"

"Nothing. I've just...been thinking a lot recently."

"That's a surprise," he jokes with a smile. "What about?"

"Nothing in particular. Just things."

"Hm... Ever wonder about Laurance?"

"Of course. He's my best friend. Have you heard from him lately?"

"He never texts me. Even when he was here. What about you?"

I glance back over to the food tables. The girls (and Aaron) are still there talking. I don't notice my gaze drifting over to the house and to Laurance's window.

"Aph texted him earlier. Said he couldn't come to the barbecue."

"I heard. Dante told me," he says. "Sheesh. Does he hate us that much to want to go that far away?"

"He doesn't hate anyone. He just needs some time to himself, that's all."

"You were the last one to see him in person, Gar. He say anything to you before he left?"

I stay quiet, not sure if I should tell him or not. Would Laurance be okay if I told Travis that he wanted me to go with him? What if he asks why he left? What would I say? Telling the truth is out of the question; everyone has already forgotten we were ever in love with her.

"Garroth? Dude? You good?"

I snap out of my thoughts and shake my head to return to reality.

"U-Uh, no, h-he didn't say anything."

"You really are out of it. Do you need to sit or something?"

"No no. I'm good. I just need more sleep, I guess," I tell him.

"Okay. Well, I'm gonna go try and help Dante with food. Try not to pass out or anything, alright?"

"Yeah, thanks. See ya, Travis."

He nods and leaves to find Dante. My phone buzzes in my pocket and I get it out. There's a text from Laurance so I unlock the phone and read it.

Laurance- Laurance Zvahl is starving to death! Mayday! Mayday! Code red!