Chapter Six

Garroth's POV

"I'm just shopping, Zane," I say into the phone. The world seems to pass by as we continue down the road, Laurance at the wheel. He knows what he's doing, he's been doing this for years.

"At 2am? Garroth, this isn't like you," Zane says. His voice sounds tired and strained, as if he hasn't slept in days.

"Relax, baby brother. I'm fine, just go to sleep. You sound tired."

"...Fine."

"Good night, Zane."

"Night, Gar."

I end the call and drop the phone into the bag on the floor in front of me. I lean back in my seat and look out the window, watching everything pass by.

"'Just shopping'?" Laurance questions with a small chuckle. "Zane isn't dumb enough to believe that his brother is going to be shopping for...however long we're going to be gone."

"I'll think of something later."

"Did you even remember to give him the letter?"

"I left it on his nightstand. And even if he doesn't see it, Aph will definitely talk to him about it."

"Good point."

The ride is quiet for a while; all that's heard is the noise of the engine and the radio playing quietly in the background. I don't ask him where we're going. I trust him enough to know that he has some idea of what he's doing. Besides, I'm way too tired to even think straight.

"Surprised you haven't asked me where I'm taking you," he says as if he's reading my mind.

"I know you won't give me a rational answer," I reply and he laughs again. I lean my head against the cool glass of the window and shut my eyes. Half of me wants to sleep, but the other half also doesn't want Laurance to be alone for a few hours.

"Go to sleep, Garroth," he says, reading my mind again with his gaze still focused on the road. "You've earned it."

"I've hardly 'earned' anything, but thanks. Wake me when you get bored."

"I will; don't worry about that." He smiles. "Night."

As soon as he says that, I feel myself drifting off into sleep....

**********

"D-Daddy? H-How do I get a girl to like me?"

Garroth was only 5 when he'd asked this and it completely melted his father's heart. He stared at his son for a while, the boy's big blue eyes looking back up at him. He was anxiously waiting for his father's answer.

"My boy has a crush on a girl, eh?" Garte had teased. Garroth's cheeks turned bright red and he looked at the ground in embarrassment.

"Come on, Garroth. Tell your old man who's caught your eye."

The young boy hesitated before lifting his head up and looking behind him. 4-year-olds Aphmau and Zane were chasing each other around the yard. 3-year-old Vylad was sat on the ground playing with a few of his toys.

"Ah, Aphmau, huh?" Garte chuckled and Garroth turned back to his father with wide eyes.

"N-N-No!" he'd stuttered, making his dad laugh.

"Alright, kiddo. Come closer and I'll tell you the secrets to women," he'd said. Garroth immediately beamed and listened intently to what Garte was saying.

Across the yard, Aphmau's mother, Sylvanna, and Garte's wife, Zianna, were watching the kids play. Zianna looked over at Garte and Garroth and saw them acting strangely. She pointed them out to Sylvanna and the two women started to walk over once Garroth had sped away.

"What was that all about, dear?" Zianna asked. Garte just chuckled and said, "You'll see."

Not long after, Garroth came back with two hands behind his back. He looked to his father, who gave him a reassuring nod, and took a deep breath. Aphmau and Zane were still chasing each other but Garroth approached them.

"A-Aphmoo?" he said and a scared, high pitched voice. Aphmau stopped running and walked over to Garroth with a big smile on her face.

"Hai, Gar! Wha is it?" she asked and Garroth blushed even more. He swallowed nervously and stuck a hand out in front of him, revealing a beautiful purple flower. Aphmau gasped.

"D-Dis for you," he said and Aphmau took it.

"It beautiful! Tank you, Garf," she said, happily, and grabbed the blonde boy's hand. "Come on. Dis way!"

She led him over to the adults with the flower in her other hand. The mothers were already aweing at the scene. Aphmau dropped Garroth's hand and ran up to her mother, showing her the flower.

"Look at da pretty flower, mommy!"

"It is very pretty, mi hija," Sylvanna agreed and Aphmau smiled.

"Uh huh! Purple my new favorite color!"

"That's sweet, Aphie. Now, let me go put your flower in water to keep it alive, okay?" she offered. Aphmau hesitated, not wanting to let the flower go yet. She ended up giving it to her as she didn't want her beautiful flower to die.

She turned back to Garroth and took his hand again, pulling him over to Zane and Vylad and the four of them played happily for the rest of the day.

**********

I couldn't put a finger on what I was feeling in that moment, but I can now... and I hate it.

~~~~~~~~~~
Hello! I've got a random question for you all.

Do you have any unusual/crack ships in the series? If so, let me know! I'm curious.

That's all for now. See ya next week!

~Emily💖