Chapter Twenty Five

Garroth's POV

I'm woken up the next morning by a crash coming from the kitchen. I jump awake, still on the couch, and turn to see Laurance leaning over the counter, gripping his forehead in pain.

Guess his hangover is giving him some major problems.

I rub my tired eyes and get up to approach him. He notices and looks guiltily up at me.

"S-Sorry..." He winces, as if even speaking causes him pain.

"Why are you out of bed?" I question, grabbing the dropped pan from off the floor. "You should still be resting. Have you taken anything?"

He nods: "Yeah. Guess they just haven't kicked in yet..."

"Well-" I place a hand on his back to guide him back to his room. "-you get back to sleep, okay? I'll make breakfast if you're really that hungry."

"Uh... I'm actually not hungry." A very light pink spreads across his cheeks. "I...was trying to do it for you. Y'know, as an apology for being stupid last night."

I blink.

Last night...?

Blood rushes to my face instantly.

How the heck did I forget about that?

It's not like I spent pretty much the entire night just thinking about him.

"Uh...Garroth? Are you sure you're okay?" He places his hand on my forehead.

Thump.

"Y-Yeah! I'm fine!" I take a larger step than needed away from him.

His hand falls to his side as he gives me a questioning look.

"Ooookaaaaaayyy..." he drawls out.

"Just..." I take a breath. "Just get back in bed. I'll be there in a sec, okay?"

He stares at me for another few seconds, then shrugs and disappears behind his bedroom door. I let out a breath.

What the heck was that? I wonder as I begin to dampen a washcloth for him.

Admittedly, this situation has happened before. Not exactly, obviously, but we did have an "unintentional kiss" a few years back. At the Romeo and Juliet play.

Irene, I haven't thought about that in a while.

But that's the point! After it happened, we both just erased it from our memories and never spoke about it again. I'm pretty sure it's only ever been mentioned, like, once, and it wasn't even by one of us!

So why can't I stop thinking about it this time?!

...Is it because of what he said before...?

"If I don't do this now, then I won't commit to it later..."

A harsh blush spreads across my face. My heart speeds up.

What did he mean by that? Was it just the alcohol making him delirious?

Or...maybe...he has feelings for me...?

Warmth shoots through me at the thought, but I quickly shake it off. No way that's the case. It doesn't matter anyway because, even if he did, which he doesn't, I'd have to just...turn him down...right?

Why did I question that?

"Thanks, Gar." He smiles as I hand him the washcloth and my stomach does a backflip.