Chapter Thirty Eight

Garroth's POV

"I'm going out to walk the dog," Laurance says, grabbing the leash that's hanging on the wall. Taco yaps excitedly, spinning in circles at Laurance's feet. "You wanna come?"

I sigh, scrolling through random posts on my phone: "Kind of, but I also don't wanna get up, so..."

He chuckles: "Understandable. I'll be back soon, then, so you're not alone for long."

"Okay. Can we go out to eat tonight?"

"If this is a subtle way of asking me out--" He clips the leash on Taco's collar and looks back at me with a smirk. "--then definitely."

My face flushes: "I-It wasn't! I-I...um...shut up!"

Laurance snickers at me, ruffling my hair briefly before heading to the door with Taco.

"I'll be back in a bit. Try not to burn the place down."

"You overreacted."

"The stove sparked, Garroth."

"It was your imagination."

He rolls his eyes: "Whatever. See ya in ten."

"Okay. Don't get run over!"

"No promises!" The door shuts behind him. I smile and roll my eyes, when I realize he left the training treats on the kitchen counter.

He'll realize in a minute. I won't bother running them down to him.

It only takes less than a minute for there to be a knock on the door.

Oh my Irene, did he forget his key, too?

There's another knock, more urgent sounding, which is really unlike Laurance. Maybe Taco's getting jumpy or something.

I drag myself off of the couch and over to the door. I pull it open, but Laurance isn't the one standing there.

"Z-Zane?!"

"Garroth!" My black-haired brother tackles me in a hug, making me slightly stumble back in shock.

"What...are you doing here?" I question and he pulls himself back.

"Looking for you, idiot! You disappeared without a word!" He looks past me, a fire in his eyes. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a moron to find and kill."

Zane pushes past into the apartment and begins to search around.

"Oh, yeah, sure. Let yourself in," I mumble, glancing at Aphmau and Aaron who were behind him. "What is he on about?"

"He's been worried about you, Garroth." Aphmau steps forward. "We've all been."

"And now he wants to kick your best friend's teeth in," Aaron adds, watching Zane throw a fit behind me.

"Laurance? Why?"

"Because he blames him for dragging you away."

I groan and gesture for them to come in. Aaron shuts the door.

"WHERE IS HE?!" Zane storms over, fuming.

"Laurance isn't here, Zane."

"Then, WHERE. IS. HE."

"Zu Zu, calm down." Aphmau goes over to attempt to calm him. "It's going to be okay. Garroth is safe. There's no reason to--"

"HE STILL WAS THE REASON HE LEFT IN THE FIRST PLACE!"

"You don't know that for certain."