Chapter Twenty Seven

Laurance's POV

I hear the door to Garroth's room open and the man himself emerges. He notices me on the couch and I don't fight the smile that immediately spreads across my face. Irene, those eyes drive me crazy...

"Morning, G," I greet. "There's pancakes on the counter."

He smiles back, making the butterflies fly more recklessly in my stomach.

"Thanks, Laur." He grabs a plate and comes to sit beside me. "Who're you texting?"

"Cadenza." I lean against his arm. "She's bored."

"When isn't she?" he jokes, making me laugh.

"True. Maybe I'll call her later."

"Do a video call. I haven't seen Cad in forever."

"Okay." I rest my head in the crook of his neck. "Just not now."

"You're affectionate today, hm?" He wraps an arm around me and plays with my hair. I smile.

"Are you complaining?"

"Never."

If I'm being honest, we've been acting like this for a while now. It's been almost two months since we moved into the apartment and it feels like we've been a lot closer lately.

"Still sleeping okay?" he questions and I nod.

"Perfect," I respond. I know he's smiling without needing to look at him.

A few weeks ago, Garroth had suggested that since I hadn't been able to sleep on my own at night, I should just sleep in his room from now on.

It's been working miracles.

I haven't had a nightmare in weeks and, Irene, it feels good to finally get some sleep for once.

Plus, it's the perfect excuse to be next to Garroth.

"Laurance, look!"

I lift my head a bit to see that Garroth's looking out the large windows beside us. Small flakes of snow have begun to fall outside, which was bound to happen eventually. It is December.

"We should go!" He looks at me, ocean blue eyes sparkling beautifully with excitement and wonder. It sends a warm feeling through me.

"Slow down, dork." I chuckle. "It just started snowing. Let's wait for it to stick before we head out. That's more fun anyway, right?"

"Good point." He turns back to the window. "I would so own you in a snowball fight."

"You wish."

"Wanna bet?"

"The usual?"

"Ten bucks?"

"Yup."

He grins.

"You're on."

**********

"GAH! LAURANCE!"

I laugh, molding another snowball in between my palms: "Never let your guard down, Garroth! You've got ten dollars on the line!"

A snowball zooms past my head.

"Nice throw, nerd!" I taunt, throwing one that barely misses his arm.

"I could say the same to you!"

I chuckle and crouch down to collect more snow. As I do, however, I spot a box out of the corner of my eye. It sits against the wall of the apartment building, but I swear it's shaking a little. Now, it could just be my imagination, but curse me and my curiosity.