Chapter Fourteen

Garroth's POV

Laurance isn't acting like himself this morning, and it puts me on edge. He seemed fine yesterday, then the whole nightmare thing happened and now it's almost as if he's paranoid. I can't help but wonder what that nightmare was about. I guess I'll find out later when I grill him for answers.

"Anything planned for today?" Vylad asks after placing his plate in the sink. I'm assuming that question was aimed at Laurance since he seems to be the game master when it comes to this stuff. Honestly, I'm a bit curious myself.

After a second, Laurance realizes we're both waiting for his answer and blinks repeatedly to bring himself back to the table.

"Huh? O-Oh, I... no, not really. Er, not yet, anyway," he stumbles over his words, noticeably cringing at each little slip up. This is really not like him. Whatever that nightmare was, it really messed him up.

"Laurance, are you sure you're alright?" I ask, concerned. Without looking up, Laurance nods his head, picking at the leftover scraps on his plate.

That's it. Whatever is making him like this needs to get out. I need my happy and carefree best friend back.

"Well, if you have nothing planned, then I guess I'll have to take the wheel," I state, grabbing Laurance and mine's plates and bringing them to the sink. Laurance looks up in surprise, slightly taken aback. He's acting like I'd just said we go skydiving into an active volcano.

"W-What?" he asks as I come back to the table. Vylad is smiling for some reason, but I shrug it off as nothing.

"You heard me. You are way out of it, my friend, and you need something to bring your head back onto your shoulders."

"Shouldn't a surgeon do that?" Vylad jokes.

I roll my eyes at him: "You know what I mean. Now, get dressed, you. I'll meet you down here in ten minutes."

Laurance doesn't react for a moment, then his infamous smile slips onto his lips and he holds up a hand in a mock salute.

"Sir yes sir!" he chants, almost tripping on his chair to stand at attention. I see Vylad roll his eyes.

"At ease, soldier." I smile. "Now, march!"

He drops his hand and races up the stairs and I hear his bedroom door shut. I let out a slight chuckle at our dorkiness.

"You two are insane," Vylad comments with a laugh.

"Got that right," I respond. "Now, I have to figure out where to take him. We'll probably just end up at the mall or something and grab food after. That's usually what happens when I arrange stuff."

Vylad chuckles: "Sounds like a date to me."

"Pfft! Yeah right. The day I ask out Laurance, is the day you ask out Dante."

And with that, Vylad's face goes crimson red. For some odd reason, Vylad sort of looked up to Dante in high school, even if he was influenced by Gene at the time. I guess his confidence in talking to people was what caught Vylad's attention, seeing as he's a naturally introverted person. Dante liked to introduce Vylad to new people whenever he was around. Whatever the case is, Vylad has had a crush on him for a while now and goes completely red-faced whenever I bring it up.

"I-I have n-no idea what you're t-t-talking a-about!" he squeaks.

"Yeah, okay. And you guys think I stutter. Runs in the family, I guess."

"S-Shut up..."

I laugh and ruffle his hair.

"I should grab a coat and shoes before Laurance gets back. I'll see you later Vylad," I tell him but before I can leave, Vylad perks up.