Chapter Forty Six

-Garroth's POV-
The first thing I notice when I wake up is how unnervingly quiet it is. There's an eerie stillness surrounding the house that sends shivers up my spine.

Laurance's door is as still and quiet as the rest of the house as I pass by it. I decide to eat breakfast first before going in, give him time to wake up.

Besides, he might be downstairs already, making breakfast, and I can apologize then.

But he isn't. I eat in silence. He never comes down.

Something doesn't feel right...

After what feels a lot longer than it was, I ascend up the stairs and stand at his door. My heart pumps loud in my ears.

Knock.

No response.

Knock knock.

Still nothing.

"Laurance...?"

...

"I'm coming in."

I open the door and the shivers in my spine spread throughout the rest of my body.

Barren.

Deserted.

Gone.

He's gone.

There's a note on his dresser and I make my way over to it, bracing myself for the worst before picking it up.

"I don't know why I'm writing this. There's really nothing to say, but I guess I should tell you something.

I'm an idiot. A total pain. I know that, but you stuck with me through everything and refused to leave no matter how annoying I was. I whine like a toddler, as stubborn as a wall, and my personality is as screwed up as my own hair.

I know you're angry with me. Irene, I'm so pissed at myself, so I really don't blame you. If I were you, I'd just delete my contact and forget I ever existed. I'm not worth your attention.

Don't come looking for me, not that you would anyway, right? Just forget about me. Who's Laurance Zvahl? I never knew the guy.

All I want you to remember is how absolutely incredible you are. You were, as cliche as it sounds, my light in the darkness. You were my whole world. You mean everything to me; you still do.

And I also want you to know that I—(Something is crossed out here.)

I'm sorry I was such a burden. I hope your life is easier now without me in it.

Your ex-best friend, (There's a tear stain on the "ex")
Laurance Zvahl"

I read it again, realize I'm not dreaming, and grab my phone. I pull up Aph's contact.

-Take care of Taco for a few days. I'm going after Laurance

-Laurance's POV-
The airport isn't crowded. Granted, it really shouldn't be.

Who in their right minds would even think to visit Tu'La?

Obviously, I'm not in my right mind.