Chapter Two: What is and Used to Be

"Mom?" I say, waving my hand in front of her face.

"Hm, what?" she says, coming back to present time.

"What's wrong?" I ask. "You keep looking all around and you're not listening to anything I'm saying."

She gives a light laugh. "Nothing, Honey. I'm - I'm just a little tired." She glances down at our plates. "You ready to go?"

"Yeah," I nod, standing up. Mom puts a couple dollars down for a tip and we head out.

By now, it's nearly 5:30 and most of the cars in the parking lot are gone.

"Geez we sure did spend a lot of time in there," I say, getting into the passenger side.

"Mhm," Mom says distantly.

I furrow my eyebrows and watch her as she drives. Something is definitely off, I think but decide to let it go until I get back from dinner with Liam. We'll have more time to talk then.

When we reach the house, it's just past 5:30. I set my backpack down on the kitchen table and Mom sets her purse on the counter.

"Uh, I'm gonna go upstairs and finish up something," she says, heading towards the stairs. "Let me know when Liam's here to pick you up, okay?"

"I will," I say haltingly as she hurries up the stairs.

I sit down at the kitchen table, my leg jiggling inconsistently. It's something I do when I'm nervous or anxious.

Finally, at around 5:50, I hear a car pull up and my phone vibrates as Liam calls me.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Hey, I'm outside," says Liam, and I can hear the smile in his voice.

"Okay, I'll be out in a minute," I say. "Bye."

I tap the 'End' button and shove my phone in my pocket and grab my wallet as well as my jacket from the kitchen hook.

"Mom!" I call. "Liam's here!"

"Okay, I'm coming!' she yells back.

In a few seconds she is down the steps and standing in front of me.

"Have fun," she says, giving me a smile as she wraps me in a hug.

"I will," I say, attempting to pull away, but she only hugs me tighter.

She lets me go at last and gives me a motherly kiss on the cheek.

"So, when you get home, go straight up to your room, okay?"

"Why?" I ask.

"I have an early birthday surprise in their for you," she says smiling. "Don't worry, it's not your present. Once you have it come and see me."

"Okay," I nod. "Mom, you're acting really strange."

She laughs but her voice shakes. "I know, I know, but everything's fine, don't worry. I love you, Honey."

"Love you too, Mom," I say, opening the front door. "I'll see you later."

Something in her eyes falter slightly. And then it's gone and she's smiling again. "Love you, Honey."

I then shut the door and hurry towards Liam's car.

*   *   *

"Thanks for dinner," I say, opening the car door and stepping out.

"Thanks for being my date," he says smiling at me.

I feel butterflies fluttering in my stomach when he smiles at me and it hits me how much I care for him.

I circle around the car so I'm in front of his door and kiss him, my hand caressing his neck.

"I'll see you tomorrow," I say, once I pull away.

"Can't wait," says Liam grinning cheesily at me.

I grin back and reluctantly walk back around and car and towards the house.

Hopping up the steps leading to the front door, I unlock the door and step inside, shutting it behind me.

Remembering, Mom's instructions, I hurry up the stairs and into my room to find a tiny cardboard shoebox. I pick the box up and look at it, thoroughly confused.

"Um, okay," I say to myself. I leave my room and walk to my mom's questions overflowing my mind.

"Mom?" I call, pushing the door open. I poke my head into the room to find it empty and dark. The curtains are drawn which is odd because Mom has never closed her curtains.

"Mom?" I say again. No response.

I'm about to turn and leave when I see dark droplets landing on the bed.

"What the . . ." I approach the bed and press my finger onto one of the spots and bring it back up to my face.

My heart plummets to my stomach when I realize what it is.

Blood.

Fearfully, I force myself to look up, nausea building in my throat at what I see.

My mom.

Up on the ceiling.

A slit across her stomach.

She is still alive I can see her breathing slightly, a look of shock and fear on her face.

I star at her, equally shocked and horrified, mouth agape.

I let out a scream as flames begin to envelope the ceiling.

"MOM!" I scream. "MOM!"

I feel the heat reaching closer to me and I clutch the box tightly in my hand and run out of the room despite all the voices in my head screaming at me.

Go back.

She's your mom.

Why did you leave her?

Go back.

Go back.

GO BACK.

I let out a scream as I burst out of the back door of the house, coughing hard as the flames take over the whole house at an alarming speed.

"NO!" I scream, tears streaming freely down my face and I see neighbors run outside to the front of my burning house see what's wrong.

Because I had gone out the back door, none of the neighbors are able to see me standing stock still in the backyard. Clutching the slightly singed box, I shake myself from my stance and decide against revealing that I'm not inside the house.

So I pull my hood over my face, turn around, and leave behind my house, my mother, and the life I used to have.

_____

This chapter was first published in June of 2014 and has been thoroughly edited on June 7, 2016

Happy reading!