Chapter Twenty-Three

This chapter is in 3rd POV unless said otherwise

The bunker is occupied only by Kevin until a split second later when Sam, Dean, and Castiel appear, Zayana's unconscious body in Sam's arms.

"Holy shit," says Kevin, jumping out of his chair.

"Get her onto the couch!" says Dean as they dash into the other room.

"Cas you need to heal her!" cries Dean as Sam gently lays Zayana onto the couch. He looks over at Castiel who is leaning against the wall, a weary look on his face.

"The angel sigils," he says. "They're weakening me. Check her back."

Nodding, Sam gingerly turns Zayana over onto her back and rips off what's left of her shirt to see that there are angel sigils on her back. Three of them. Branded into her skin.

"I found them," says Sam, his voice shaking slightly. "Now what?"

"Get rid of them," Castiel says gravely.

"What? How?" demands Dean.

"Use a knife and cut a slit through each of them. It doesn't have to be deep. And it won't get rid of them fully but will allow me to see her and heal her . . . for the most part."

Sam looks at Dean and at Castiel and then back at the brands on Zayana's back.

"Kevin. Get a knife from the kitchen. One of the sharp ones."

"Wait you're gonna do this?!" says Dean,

"We don't have a choice Dean," says Sam, clenching his teeth as Kevin hurries back into the room carrying a fairly large, sharp, knife. "If I don't do this she could die. These injuries are bad."

Dean opens his mouth but shuts it and nods his head. "Okay."

Gripping the knife tightly, Sam tries to steady his hand which is shaking.

Thank God she's unconscious, he thinks to himself.

Then he presses the knife against the brand and drags it downward.

Zayana's body tenses up and a slight groan escapes her mouth but other than that, she is quiet which Sam is grateful for as he cuts at the first one and then the second one. And finally, the third one.

"I can see her now Sam," says Castiel, a look of relief overcoming his face. "But the angel sigils have weakened me. I may not be able to heal her fully."

"Do whatever you can," says Dean in a tight voice.

Castiel nods and walks over to Zayana and puts his two fingers on the top of her head. And in an instant, Zayana's whole body has relaxed. But there are still faint scars on her back from the brands and the cuts.

"Well?" says Sam. "Is she healed?"

"Yes," replies Castiel, nodding again.

"Thank God," mutters both Sam and Dean.

"At least mostly. The internal damage should be almost all gone. She's going to have scars. I will be able to get rid of those later however when I have . . . recovered."

Sam and Dean nod and look at each other, weary and exhausted, it shows on their face.

"I . . . I need a drink," says Dean finally. Sam nods.

"Yeah. Me too."

● ● ●

I feel pain before my eyes are even open.

Fear grips at my heart as I start to fully wake up, not wanting to open my eyes for fear of where I might be.

But I force myself to, because I have no other choice. Slowly, I open my eyes and am at first greeted with blurriness. I rub the sleep away from my eyes, lean my head forward and look around.