Chapter 44: The Fall: Change?

A/N- This chapter could go either way

~ (Brooke's POV) ~

It had been a year since Dad jumped off St Barts roof.

A whole year without my Father by my side.

I was alone and broken but now... Now I am sixteen (and a half), in a strong relationship with my best friend who just turned eighteen and I was working in a pub.

Yes I have managed to get a job singing in a pub; Yes I know it's nothing like Detective work but I got a good amount of money for singing a couple of songs a few nights a week... The regulars who come in are lovely and I even do songs on request.

It was a typical Sunday night and I was working late at the pub; They were a bit under staffed so I offered to stop late and help collect empty glasses and tidy the place up which actually earned me bit of extra money.

"Thanks for the extra Susan," I thank my Deputy Manager.

Susan smiled. "You're a hard worker Brooke, you earned it." She told me. "Get home safely!"

I headed out the pub then zipped up my coat as the Autumn air made me shiver; I was a summer child and always hated the cold weather but I live in London so I had to deal with crap weather. Really I should get a cab but I enjoy the walk back to Baker Street and honestly on a clear night I was a sucker for looking at the stars and the moon, I still sit in my window and look out at the scene in front of me playing a melody in my guitar.

Suddenly a women ran into me pulling me away from my thoughts; The women looked homeless, she looked so upset and stressed.

"Are you alright?" I asked the women.

The lady shook her head. "No, I need to leave, I need to get away!" She told me and began to cry. "I must go!"

*CRYING*

I looked down the alley were the lady came from. I listened to the cry and it sounded like a childs?

"HEY?" I shouted as the women ran further up the road. "WHAT DID YOU DO?"

My inner Detective got the better of me and I went down the dark alley to investigate; I turned on my phone torch and slowly looked around the alley... It was disgusting and smelly... Maybe I was hearing things but as I turned around to leave I heard crying again.

"Hello?" I asked as I went further in the alley.

I was surrounded by bins and dumpsters. I really hope this women didn't put the child in a bin!

I took a deep breath know this dumpster was going to stink!

Well here goes nothing...

I threw open a dumpster but nothing, I headed down to the other then threw that one open and to my horror I was right, the homeless women had left her baby in the dumpster with nothing but a dirty blanket wrapped around them and a note.

(NOTE)
I am unable to care for my son.
Please have mercy and take care of him,
I have no money or shelter for him.
His name is Harlee and he is 6 months old.
Please take him in a love him like your own
- Just another homeless person.

I was in shock; How could someone leave a child alone in a place like this?

The child- Harlee moaned and pulled me out of my thoughts and then a crazy thought hit me. I leaned over the side of the dumpster and picked his small form up.

"It's okay, I'm going to take you home with me." I reassured him and wrapped the blanket around him.

I walked out of the alley and onto the main street. I wrapped my coat around the both of us and Harlee had tucked his head into the crook of my neck.