Chapter 60: His Last Vow: Engaged?

At Five O'clock Callum's Father James had collected Harlee and said he was going to take him to see the horse racing while secretly Dad and I got a cab to the Skyscraper where we were meeting John.

Our ride there was silent and weird for some strange reason it was like Dad was hiding something, I had no idea what he was planning but it was probably crazy and most likely life threatening.

Just a normal plan then!

When we got to there we went inside and met John by reception who looked a little lost.

"Magnussen' s office is on the top floor, just below his private flat. There are fourteen layers of security between us and him," Dad told us.

"Two of which aren't even legal in this country," I pointed out.

I did a bit of research before we came here.

"Want to know how we're going to break in?" Dad asked John.

"Is that what we're doing?" John asked.

"What else do we do?" I asked. If you think about it everything we do is kind of illegal.

Dad took us down the escalator. "Magnussen's lift goes straight up to his penthouse and office. Only he uses it and only his key card calls the lift. Anyone else even tries, security is automatically informed." Dad explained to us. We walked a little closer to the lift and Dad pulled out a key card. "Standard key card for the building, only get's us to the canteen. So if I was to use this card on that lift now, what happens?"

"Er, the alarms would go off and you'd be dragged away by security," John told him.

"Then threw into a room where they would beat you senselessly," I added with a sly smirk.

Dad gave me a strange look. "Yes thank you Brooke," He told me. "But if you a key card against your phone long enough then the key card it corrupts the magnetic strip. The card stops working, so what happens if I used the card now?"

"It doesn't work," John told him.

"It's doesn't read it as wrong," I added.

"Exactly! It just registers as corrupted," Dad told us. "They don't know it's not Magnussen so they'd have to check. On the right of the lift is a camera eye height, a live picture of the card user is relayed directly to Magnussen's personal staff in his office, the people trusted to make a positive ID. At this hour, almost certainly his PA."

I frowned. "Yeah you look nothing like Magnussen so unless your best friends with his PA then your going into that small room and having the living daylight kicked out of you," I told him.

"Oh but I do know his PA," Dad told me. "Human error."

Dad used the card then waited a few seconds; Who is the PA?

"Sherlock what are you doing you complete loon?" A voice asked... Her voice... JANINE!

"Hi Janine," Dad said sweetly. My jaw was on the floor. "Go on, let me in."

"I can't! You know I can't, don't be silly," She told.

I'm still in shock...

"Don't make me do it out here," Dad's voice was soft. "Not in front of everyone."

I frowned, what? "Do what in front of everyone?" Janine asked.

Dad reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a small box, he opened the lid the reveal and small engagement ring!

Then the lift doors opened... I don't even know.

I punched my Dad's chest in anger. "How could you?" I asked Dad harshly. "I hate you!"

Dad rolled his eyes and dragged me into the lift. "Brooke relax," He told me.

"NO!" I snapped. "You can't marry that witch!"

"Brooke Holmes I am not marrying Janine!" He told me sternly.

"Wait did you just get engaged to break into an office?" John asked in disbelief.

"Yeah," Dad said casually? WHAT THE HELL?

"What are you going to tell her?" John asked.

"Well I'll tell her that our entire relationship was a ruse to break into her boss' office." Dad said the added. "I imagine she'll want to stop seeing me at that point."

I'm in shock yet I'm very happy!

BYE BYE JANINE!

We got the lift and snooped around the place; No one was here?

"Where'd she go?" I asked.

"Well that's rather rude of her," Dad stated.

I turned around and saw Janine lying on the floor. "Did she faint?" I asked.

John came over and looked her over. "Blow to the head," He told me. "She's still breathing. Janine, Janine can you hear me?"

"Can't we just leave her?" I asked.

John glared at me. "Seriously?" He asked.

"You have no idea how annoying that women is!" I stated.

Dad continued to search the placed, I slowly followed him around then stopped by Magnussen's desk. I sat on his chair and went through his thing's, I even tried on his spare glasses; Nothing here really. Then I realised, the seat was still warm. Magnussen must still be here!

"Dad?" I called but he didn't answer.

I walked around then found some stairs. I climbed up then but I got half way I heard a thud, a loud thud. I ran up the stairs and into a room where I found Dad lying on the floor with blood seeping through his shirt.

"JOHN!" I screamed. "JOHN UP HERE!"

I threw off my coat and pressed it on the wound. "Brooke what-... Jesus!" John said.

"P-please help him," I cried.

Tears filled my eyes. I moved out the way and John took over. "Come on Dad, please stay awake, don't leave me!"

"Brooke call an ambulance!" John ordered me.

I pulled out my phone and called 999... "Hello this is Brooke Holmes, I need an ambulance now!" I spoke quickly.

Hold on Sherlock Holmes!