Chapter 57: The Sign Of Three: Dance

John and I walked into a small room and I saw Dad spinning on one foot?

"What on earth are you doing?" I asked him with a giggle.

"We were dancing," Janine told me.

I gave her disgusted look. "Thanks but I wasn't asking you," I mumbled as Lestrade walked in with the camera man.

"Ah the photographer. Excellent. May I take a look?" Dad asked and pointed at the camera.
The cameraman hesitantly gave his camera over. "What's this about? I was halfway home," He asked.

"You should have driven faster," Dad said as he flicked through the photo's.

"Is the murderer in the photographs?" John asked.

"It's not what's in the photographs, it's what's not in them," Dad told him.

"Yeah Dad your talking to normal people here so, please explain," I asked him.

"There is a man at the wedding who is not in any of the photographs, but can go anywhere, and even carry an equipment bag around with him if he likes, and you never even see his face. You only ever see the camera," Dad said and slapped a pair of cuffs on the cameraman's wrist and attached it to a luggage trolley. "Jonathan Small, today's substitute wedding photographer- known to us as the Mayfly Man. His brother was one of the raw recruits that was killed in that incursion. Johnny sought revenge on Sholto, worked his way through Sholto's staff, found what he needed, an invitation to a wedding. The one time Sholto would have to be out in public. So, he made his plan and rehearsed his murder, making sure of every last detail."  

Wow! The cameraman did it!

"Dad you are amazing!" I mumbled and gave him a proud smile. "Sholto will be happy to hear you caught him."

Just then Mary walked in with Harlee in her arms. "Mummy look," He said and handed me a flower. "Found it!"

I took the flower. "Thank you baby boy," I said and kissed the top of his head.

I took him off Mary and went to where all the other guests were waiting for the bride and groom's first dance.

Dad was on the stage playing his violin as John and Mary danced around the floor. The song Dad had written was beautiful!

After the song had finished Dad took the micro phone. "Ladies and Gentleman, just er- one last thing before the evening begins properly. Apologies for earlier, a crisis arose and was dealt with. More importantly, however, today we saw two people make vows. I have only ever made one vow in my life until now. John, Mary; Whatever it takes, whatever happens, from now on I swear to always be there, always, for all three of you." Dad told everyone.

Wait did he say three?

"No I'm sorry, I mean, I mean all two of you. All two of you. Both of you, in fact. I've just miscounted. Anyway it's time for dancing. Play the music again, please. Thank you," Dad said to everyone and soon the dance floor was flooded with people.

I carried Harlee over to where Dad, John and Mary were standing, they seemed to be having a discussion.

"Mary I think you should do a pregnancy test," Dad told Mary.

WHAT THE HELL!

"Shut up," John told him. "Just... Shut up. How did he notice before me? I'm a bloody doctor!"

"It's your day off," I piped up.

"And it's his day off," John shot back.

"Stop panicking," I told him.

"I'm pregnant. I'm panicking," Mary told us.

I shook my head. "Stop and listen to me. Look at us three," I pointed to Dad, myself and Harlee. "You've basically looked after Dad and I then you've been helping me with Harlee and you have done beautifully, you'll be amazing," I told them with a reassuring smile.

John stared at me for a moment then hugged me, Mary kissed my cheek. John squeezed Dad's shoulder.

"Now dance," Dad told them.

John and Mary walked off and started to dance together. "They'll be great parents," I told Dad but he wasn't there. "Where'd he go?"

"Outside," Harlee said.

Seriously my son does not miss anything!

"Go to Molly!" I told Halree and nudged him in that direction.

I once again took my heels off, picked them up and ran outside. I saw Dad slip his coat on and pop the collar up.

"DAD!" I shouted. I ran down the path towards him. "Where are you going?"

"I'm rather tired-" He began.

He's a bad liar!

"Dad you're never tired, what's wrong?" I asked him.

Dad sighed. "I just miss your Mother," He mumbled. "She was the one who taught me to dance, when we were your age."

(FLASH BACK)
Today was Isabelle's 18th birthday and Sherlock had a surprise for her.
Isabelle was waiting in Sherlock living room, he said he would be a few minutes. Soon Sherlock walked into the living room with a big smile.

"You've been gone ages," Isabelle stated. "What are you up to?"

Sherlock chuckled. "I was getting your present ready," He told her.

"You didn't have to," She told him.

"Yes I did," He told her as he took her hand and led her outside...

As Isabelle looked around the garden her jaw dropped. Sherlock had put up lantern's and fairy lights, set up a small pick- nick on the grass and he had also set up a stero with a slow song on it.

"Sherlock this is beautiful," She exclaimed.

Sherlock smiled softly. "Miss Ryan, may I have this dance?" He asked and held out his hand.

"You may Mister Holmes," She giggled and held his hand.

"Now I'm sorry if I step on your toes because as you know I cannot dance," Sherlock told her.

"I'll teach you. Place your hand on my waist and pull me close, then take one step," She told him. Sherlock followed but looked down, Isabelle caught his chin and tilted it up again. "Look into my eyes, I'll take the lead, just step forwards and backwards."

Sherlock and Isabelle waltzed around the garden smiling and laughing. Soon Sherlock got more confident and took the lead, he picked Isabelle up by her waist and spun her around.

As he placed her down there eyes met and they kissed...

(END OF FLASH BACK)

Tears filled my eyes as Dad told me that story. It sounded like they were madly in love and were great friends.

"I wished she was here to see you as you are now. With Harlee and Callum, she would have been proud," Dad told me and kissed my cheek. "Goodnight Brooke."

I watched Dad walk away.

Why did such horrible thing's have to happen to him?

Why couldn't we have been a family?