Chapter Three

3

"Gage, it's been too long!" Aaron cheered, his arms being thrown on his older brother-- who seemed to automatically accept. 

"Hasn't been long enough if you ask me." A man I have never met in my life joked, his very own boyish grin that resembled Aaron's-- that was currently resting on his face.

They were clearly brothers.

My eyes began to survey the man, from head to toe-- my eyes moving without my mind's consent as I looked my boyfriend's brother up and down. I simply couldn't help it. 

He had a thick brunette hair on top of his head, the same shade as the rough beard that laid on his face ever so perfectly, adding to his features.

The beautiful stranger that stood in front of the love of my life didn't share the same electric blues ones that Aaron have, instead, his eyes were the lightest hazel colour I had ever seen, they brightened up his entire face -- and despite being far from him I was, I could almost see them shine while he spoke to his brother, a smirk appearing upon his face as they both joked. 

His eyes traveled from Aaron to me, his eyes met mine and he froze for a moment before pushing his younger brother to the side lightly and finding his way towards me.

Great, he's seen me watch him like a creep from the stairs.

"And you are?" Gage's voice was smooth when he spoke to me. Now that he was in front of me I could clearly analyze him. Despite the obvious truth that both of the men in front of me were related, they didn't look like it. Gage didn't look anything like Aaron, from head to toe.

"Veronica Steele." A small smile found its way onto my face, instantly freezing in its position as Aaron snakes his arm around my waist. I didn't realise he moved towards me.

"And my girlfriend." Instantly after his words, Gage's eyes bulged as his jaw dropped.

"When have you had a girlfriend?"

I felt pain and I was hurt that it seemed that Aaron neglected to tell his own brother that he has a girlfriend and had for the last three years.

Surely that's something to talk about?

Aaron let out a laugh, his breath tickling my ear. "I've told you about her before, you were probably too drunk to remember. Don't think I've forgotten about your mad ragers." Aaron's hand that was rested on my waist seemed to get tighter and tighter as he was speaking to his brother.

"Sure," Gage longed out his response, his eyes moving from us, and began surveying the house he was going to stay in for a while.

There was silence within the room for a while, neither one of the brothers chose to speak and Aaron's grip was getting so unbearable I had to get out of this atmosphere.

"Well," I spoke, releasing Aaron's grip on my grip, "I'll go get the dinner ready."

Getting to know Gage was fun, I found out that he works within construction which is a completely different path career than this brother who works within the police force.

"So Veronica, what do you do?" He asked me before taking a large bite out of the lasagne I made him.

Might I just add that there was barely any left and for that, I am proud of my cooking skills. Go me.

"Oh well," I gulped, refusing to look at Aaron. He hates when I talk about my job. Instantly, his hand found its way under the table and over my thigh with his grip bearable. "I sell my art and I get hired to do certain paintings." The more I spoke, the tighter the grip on my thigh got and I had tightened the grip on my fork, my nails digging into my skin to distract myself.