Chapter Four

4

"Try not to move, Elena," I asked, my eyes narrowing as I focused on the angle of her arm. Elena was having trouble standing still and it was affecting my focus on what I was painting. "Elena please," I repeated.

"I'm sorry, Crowley won't stop moving." She responded, putting all the blame on the cat that was nestled in her arms. "Ow!" She shrieked, causing me to jump and risk spilling black ink over the canvas in front of me.

"What?" I gritted my teeth, looking back at Elena I had noticed that there was a fresh scratch on her forearm. Ouch.

"Stupid cat." I watched as she continued to curse at her own cat. I sighed, placing the brushes into their holders and setting the canvas aside.

"We'll carry this on tomorrow, in the meanwhile train that thing." I pointed at her gray furball, earning myself a hiss. Elena mumbled an apology as she grabbed her stuff and made her way out of the studio.

Doing live paintings was stressful beyond belief, especially when the live painting contains an animal, those things don't know when to stand still.

Despite the fact that I love painting, and it is indeed one of the best things of my life, I sometimes hate doing this-- live paintings I mean.

Selling my pre-made paintings is fine, I draw in my spare time and people tend to feel the need to buy them off me, however, sometimes they order for a live painting to be done-- yes it gives me a boost financially, but it is such a hassle. 

No one wants to listen, they want to move as much as they wish, and don't get me started on the disrespect. 

You'd think if I'm spending my days painting for them that they give me some form of respect in return-- not one bit. It's like everyone forgets that someone is taking time out of their day to do a painting for someone else. Honestly, if I wasn't getting money I would have quit this ages ago.

I know Aaron wouldn't mind, he hates everything about this. If he had his way then he would have made me throw this all away years ago, but alas this "hobby" of mine is keeping money coming, as well as occupying my time when Aaron is at work. Our house is relatively big so it's all too easy to get lonely when you're in that house on your own. 

And do not get me started on the nude paintings. 

"Knock knock."

I was ripped from my thoughts and jumped in shock, canvas dropping like dominoes when I accidentally tipped one over, tipping them all over one by one. Swinging around, my eyes met the intruder who was leaning on the wall with their eyes focusing on the mess I had just made.

"Gage," I let out a breath of air that I didn't know I was holding, my shoulders slumped as I began to relax. "What are you doing here?" My brows furrowed, I never told him where I worked. I assumed that Aaron told him where I work, but why would he do that?

"Ah, I was walking down the block and saw your car on the road." 

"My car?" Who recognizes someone from their car? 

"Veronica, your car is bright pink. I don't typically see that everywhere." My cheeks flushed immediately. I didn't have much money at the time  I was looking for a car, Aaron refused to give me any money-- saying that I had to be more independent-- and the cheapest working car that I could find was my small bright pink one. 

I refused to respond to him, instead, I turned my back and focused all losing the heat to my cheeks. Instead of focusing on the rosiness of my cheeks, I focused on the opened cans of paint I needed to close.