Chapter Ten

10

The trip to the hospital wasn't long, however, sitting in Gage's car it felt like an eternity. 

I felt awful that I was already breaking the promise I made to Aaron about staying away, but his brother was persistent and I'm only going to the hospital-- something Aaron should have done for me the minute this happened.

I thought that Gage was going to drive me to the hospital in silence, it was what I wanted but he had other ideas.

"What's your favourite colour?" What? I raised my eyebrow at the man beside me as he sent me a glance from the corner of his eyes, his head not moving from the direction of the road. "It's going to be a long trip till we get to the hospital so we might as well get to know each other better."

"No, it's not it's like fifteen m--" 

"What's your favourite colour?" He repeated with a smile. I turned my head to him, narrowing my eyes at the side of his face as he gave his full attention to the road in front of him. 

"Blue, you?" 

Gage's smile widened; "Yellow." 

"Why yellow?" I couldn't help but have a disgusted look on my face. I hate the colour yellow. 

"Because people don't give yellow the time of day since it's out there and so bright. I like it because it's out there and so bright." He turned to me, his mouth twitching into a little smirk. "Plus, I look great yellow." 

For some reason, I had no doubt about that.

I shrugged, a small smile of my own finding its way on my face and I made no effort to remove it. 

Gage's question and answer game continued for a while, and it was fun getting to know him more despite how wrong it was for me to do some. 

I found that his favourite colour is yellow, his favourite movie is the entire fast and furious franchise, he loves pizza just as much as he loves lasagne, he would rather watch a horror than a comedy, he wants to start travelling the world and he likes to cook in his spare time.

"What about you, what do you like to do in your spare time?" I don't get any.

"I like to draw." Gage shook his head.

"No you do that for a job, you have to choose something else." He turned his head to me for a moment, his eyes studying me with intensity. 

"Watch the road." His gaze was making me shuffle in my seat however I didn't know if it was because I was uncomfortable or not.

"We're at a stoplight." And he was right, when I looked at the road I noticed that we were indeed at a stoplight, the light blaring a bright red. "What do you like to do in your spare time?" 

He really likes to repeat what he says. 

"I don't know," I shrugged. "Listen to music?" I didn't really do much when I had spare time, there was nothing I could really do. Most of the times I have spare time, Aaron and I have had a huge fight and I don't know what to do but cry. 

I don't think telling Gage that I cry in my spare time would be the greatest.

"Seriously?" He looked back at the road as cars began to move. 

"Yeah, I'm too focused on my drawing  to do anything else." And it was the truth, I do tend to draw a lot even when I'm not at work. Drawing and painting is something I do to release my emotions-- anger, sadness, happiness. I feel out of this world when I'm focusing on the canvas, sometimes I need a break from the real world. 

"Would you ever paint me?" Gage asked, his gaze switching between the road and myself. "You know, like one of your french guys?" I rolled my eyes, a smile still on my face as I looked out of the window, my head resting on the glass as Gage continued to drive through the town. 

I couldn't help to think about everything in my life while my head rested on the window, the smile that Gage had gotten plastered on my face was slowly slipping off as my mind went somewhere else. 

I felt like an awful person. First I break Aaron trust, then I yell at Gage for just trying to help when I was bruised and broken in that bed, and now I'm breaking Aaron's trust even more as I was sitting in a car with his brother-- and for a moment, I didn't care. 

Speaking with Gage, even when it was for a little time, I didn't care what Aaron thought. Speaking to Gage made me feel better, I haven't felt semi-good like this for the past two days.

"V," Gage broke me out of my trance with the nickname he gave me, can it even be called a nickname I mean it's literally the first letter of my name. "Why didn't Aaron take you to the hospital when he first saw you?" 

I looked back at Gage, he was still looking forward however the smile that was on his face during his question and answer game was long gone and it was replaced with a slight frown as his eyebrows furrowed together.

"I told him I was fine." I trapped my bottom lip between my teeth as the lies began again. I don't like to lie, especially to Gage, so having to lie in order to protect Aaron affected me. 

My entire life I was lied to, so I tended to keep that in the past. Having to lie now didn't feel good, I felt like a hypocrite. 

"But he should have known, no offence but your face is twenty different shades of not fine," Gage stated. Looking at the wheel, I noticed his grip on the wheel was getting tighter and tighter as his knuckles were becoming lighter with every squeeze. 

My heart squeezed at his words, I felt warm thinking that he cared. However, I soon came back to reality, cursing at my heart for reacting. 

He didn't care about me, he cared about his brother because if anything happened to me Aaron would be heartbroken. A little part of me scoffed at that. 

"I can't believe he just left you like this," Gage's narrowed into slits as he continued to focus on the road, his knuckles getting whiter and whiter. "Dickhead." He added.

"Hey!" I called out, straightening up from my laying position. "He's your brother." I felt like a mother scolding her children. Despite scolding Gage for calling his brother a dickhead, I had to bite my tongue to resist slipping a smile. 

"So," Gage scoffed, letting out a humourless chuckle. "He's still a dickhead. He's done some stupid shit."  He shook his head. 

"Like what?" I cocked my head to the side, my eyes focusing on Gage waiting for him to continue. I was intrigued by what stupid shit Aaron did when he was younger. 

Gage glanced at me, the small smirk back on his face. "Let's leave that for another day." 

"No, I want to know now. You've got me intrigued." 

"Nope."

"I won't move from this position until you start talking." I pushed, crossing my arms across my chest as I set my body straight on the seat.

"Cool," Gage smiled at me before unbuckling his seat belt. "We're here."

I looked out of the window, noticing that we had indeed reached the hospital. 

I mumbled curses to myself as I made my way out of the car, slamming the door shut in annoyance and I got even more frustrated when I heard Gage chuckle on the other side of the car at my actions.

I rolled my eyes and ignored Gage as I made my way to the door, his chuckles only getting louder.

---------------------------------------
couple of days late but I actually updated somewhat on time! Be proud of me please, lmao.