Chapter Twenty Eight

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Resting was almost impossible here. I didn't feel comfortable one bit being in this hospital, even the scent was putting me off. 

Every time I closed my eyes, I would see Aaron. I was on the floor all over again, and the thought of having to go through that again terrified me. 

I had been in this hospital for almost a week now, and yet no one knew where Aaron was. The second that Gage had stepped in that house, it was like Aaron had disappeared as if he dropped off of the face of the earth. 

I was afraid to close my eyes at night in case Aaron would pop up-- and not just in my dreams. 

He knew I was here, I had no clue where he could be, the options were limitless for him-- he could simply be waiting for the right time to finish me.

I felt bitter. I felt incredibly bitter. All the words he once said to me meant nothing to him while it meant the world to me. How could someone be so cruel? He pried on the vulnerable, but not only was I disgusted by him-- I was also disgusted by myself. 

I was too naive and submissive to see what was happening in front of me. I let him do this to me, I was disgusted. 

Unconsciously, I gritted my teeth as I thought about all the lies Aaron had told me, about all the things he planted in my vulnerable mind. 

Yes, please do prey on a girl broken by the loss of her parents!

I hated him. I could feel it. No longer did I want to be in his arms, just the thought of being in his arms disgusted me as much as it frightened me. 

"Ron," I looked up from my lap to see my sister, Ellie, looking at me with her big doe eyes. She looked as broken as me. I gave her a nod, my mind somewhere else as she walked through the hospital room. "It's time to go." I gave her another nod and with her help, I got off of the bed and made my way out of the room. 

A few days ago when I woke up, Gage was the first person I saw and Ellie was the second. 

The was broken at the sight of me, it terrified her to see me like this as much as it terrified me. 

You would expect her to go straight to my side and hugging me furiously as she apologizes for not seeing it coming. You would expect her to press me about the situation, about why I never spoke about what Aaron was doing, but no. 

Instead, Ellie simply strolled to my side and placed a kiss on my head. She never made a move to question me about the situation but I could see in her eyes she wanted to-- so why doesn't she?

As we made our way to the parking lot-- Ellie had already signed me out-- she made no movement to speak. It made me confused by the way she was acting, did she think I wanted her to act this way because I don't. 

Even though I don't want to be pressed about the situation, I would have at least expected Ellie is act as normal as ever yet I wasn't getting that. 

When we got into her car, she let out a shaky breath as she straightened out her shirt that seemed to have ruffled when I was leaning on her support-- one of my ankles was sprained.

I sighed. "Ellie," I looked over at her to see her staring at her windshield while she waited for the car to heat up in this cold weather. She ignored me which only aggravated me. "Ellie!" I repeated, only louder this time which caused her to spin to me with her eyes narrowed and her brows furrowed. With what emotion, however, I had no idea.

"What?" She spoke through gritted teeth. 

"What is the matter with you? Why are you acting like this?" She rolled her eyes at me, gripping the steering wheel, muttering something under her breath. "What?"