Chapter Seven

7

I woke up to the feeling of someone running their fingers through my hair, my hands trapped in someone else's. 

My eyes fluttered when I attempted to open them, I struggled to fully open my eyes as it felt like something was holding them open however eventually I did succeed to open my eyes-- an obvious swelling of my lids could be felt as I continued to blink away the bright lights that began to evade my vision. 

"Roni?" A familiar voice filled my ears, the hand that was enveloping mine tightened in a reassuring manner and the person beside me stood up. "Oh Roni, are you okay?" Aaron asked, worry and guilt had covered his entire face in the shape of wrinkles above his eyebrows. 

It took me a while to realize what had happened, but when I finally did remember it came back rushing. 

I came home from spending the day with Gage, Aaron got angry and believed I was cheating with his brother which ended with him hitting me. 

He hurt me. 

Aaron and I have gone through a lot and over the last three years I have definitely pissed him off to the extent that he'll yell at me, but never in our three years of being together had he ever landed a hand on me. He'll squeeze, he'd hold me tightly but never had he thrown a punch my way, never had he attacked me in such a physical way.

"Roni?" He spoke, his voice ripping me out of my thoughts. Instantly, I ripped my hands out of his as I scooted the fastest I could to the end of the bed. Aaron's eyes widened as I moved so quickly, the fright in me from before came back. I was so focused on removing myself from Aaron and making space that I didn't realize how much pain I would be if I moved too much. 

I was terrified.

Pain from my sides basically screamed through my body and a sharp gasp left my mouth as I groaned at the pain, my hands shooting up to my ribs. Instantly, Aaron had run to the other side of the bed where I laid and began to secure my body by making me lay gently on the bed, my body protected with his arms. 

"Roni, I am so sorry!" He cried, his eyes refused to meet mine as he surveyed my body, my bruised body. I was finding it hard to breathe, all my focus on the pain I was feeling that was slowly subsiding with every second I didn't move. "Veronica," He looked up at me but I couldn't meet his eyes.

I looked straight away when he looked up, my eyes going to the ceiling as I focused on the lights that were installed on the roof. Every time Aaron spoke all I saw was how angry he was when he laid his hand on me. Just thinking of it made my eyes burn with unshed tears. 

I just prayed that Aaron would stop talking and leave me to rot in this bed, however, Aaron wasn't going anywhere and he continued to speak-- his voice just triggering the memory of his red face as he wished death on me. 

"Veronica, please look at me." I shook my head, refusing to look at him as I bit my lip as I struggled to hold the tears-- even more pain twitching through my head as I began to taste the metallic salt of my own blood as I tugged on my split lip.  

"Please, Roni. I am so sorry." In my position, I could still see Aaron in the corner of my eye but I continued to look straight ahead, focusing purely on the lights above me. 

Suddenly, I heard sniffles. 

"I don't know what came over me," Aaron continued, "I should have never taken my anger out of you, there is no excuse I can use! I am disgusted with myself." He cried to me, my focus on the lights faulting as my eyes began to wander close to Aaron. "I won't be able to live with myself if you hated me, I am a disgusting person and I would understand if you never wanted to see me again" He was almost sobbing, his hands made it back to mine and I made no move to remove them. 

When my eyes finally landed on him, I saw that he wasn't looking at me but my hands that were engulfed by his, fresh tears painted his face as more came to. 

"Veronica I love you so much, please forgive me." I didn't know what to say, I was stuck. Aaron being the love of my life, I didn't know what to do. Losing him frightened me, but the thought of this happening again was frightening me even more. 

As if he was reading my mind, he spoke again; "If you'd take me, I will never do this again. I will control my anger, hell I would even go to classes, to fucking therapy. I would do anything, I promise to never lay an unwanted hand on you again, please Roni." His eyes finally met mine, his own eyes holding as many unshed tears as mine did, many of which were escaping.  

He held on to my hand, bringing them to his lips and placing a long kiss upon them before keeping them on his face. "I will change." He whispered into my hands, the tears that were covering his face wetting on hands slightly. 

"Okay." Aaron froze for a moment. 

"What?"

"I said, okay." In an instant, Aaron's face lit up with a huge smile, his glistering eyes squinting at how big his smile was growing. He leaned in a pressed his lips onto my forehead lightly, whispering a thank you into my hair. 

"Thank you so much, Roni, I love you so much." I hummed in response, the words to say it back wouldn't come out. A part of me was still afraid, what if this happened again? 

But Aaron would never lie to me, I know he wouldn't-- he loves me.

After all, it was my fault everything happened-- I crossed a line. I hurt him emotionally. 

I looked around the room, realizing that I wasn't in a hospital room that I would have suspected, but my own bedroom. I wasn't surprised that I wasn't in a hospital room, what would Aaron say to the doctors about what happened to me? That would raise some questions. 

"Here, take these babe. It'll help with the pain." Aaron reached to the desk table, grabbing an item from my table, and then handing me a couple of painkillers. I attempted to sit up however the pain from my ribs came back and a groan emerged from my throat. Seeing this, Aaron made movements to set me properly up. 

He placed his body slightly behind mine, allowing my body to rest gently on his like a body pillow. He gestured me to take the painkillers and then proceeded to lift a glass of water to my mouth, tilting the glass so it was easy for me to drink.

Him helping me and taking care of me almost made me forgot why I was in this position in the first time.

Almost.

_________________

Guys, updates will be slow as I am focusing this month all on writing  my other novel (She's At War) however there are still many pre-written chapters for this story that I will be publishing. 

So, let me what you think of the story so far by commenting and voting please! Updates will come soon x