Chapter Eleven

11

The trip to the hospital was an absolute waste of time. 

It turned out that all of my injuries were just bruises, nothing broken-- nothing. Gage dragged me from my bed so I could be told by professionals that I was fine; as if I wasn't saying that the entire time. 

They had given me painkillers to reduce the level of pain I was feeling, which was still as intense as ever. I voiced my pain and the doctor had told me that it'll get worse before it gets better. 

When asked about what happened, I had to replay the disastrous lie I told Gage and to my surprise, it was believed once again. 

When did everyone become oblivious to the truth?

Or when did I become so convincing?

"Thanks for not listening to me and wasting my time." I sent Gage a fake smile before rolling my eyes, walking away from him and towards the exit of the hospital. 

"Oh cool," He-- much to my dismay-- caught up with me, his boyish grin sending me into another whirl of annoyance, no matter how strangely adorable. "Sorry about caring for you and all, it's whatever." He shrugged, the jump in his step starting to piss me off. 

"Just take me home," He sent me a raised eyebrow. "Please," I added. Gage paused. He gave me an apologetic small, scratching the back of his neck in nervousness. 

"About that, I actually have somewhere else to be so I can't drop you home." He began to cringe away from me, as if I was about to raise hands at him for trying to leave me stranded in a hospital. 

I mean, that's not something I do but damn I would really like to at that moment in time. 

"What, so I'm meant to just walk home? It'll take me forever in this rain!" I wanted to yell at Gage. I wanted to yell at him for coming into my room today, for seeing my bruises, for forcing me to go to the hospital, and to top it all off; for leaving me stranded in a hospital with no ride home. 

I don't have my phone, so that cancels out a taxi-- I don't even have my wallet so that wasn't helping one bit. 

"Of course not!" Gage scoffed, his boyish grin back on his face as if he hadn't just told me he was going to leave me here within any transportation home. "I called Aaron and told him to pick you up, he's waiting outside now."

I froze, the colour from my face most likely draining at Gage's words. Suddenly, terror was slicing through my mind, running through my body as the anxiety within me awakened with a harsh blow. 

He called Aaron

Which means Aaron knows that I'm with Gage. 

Which means Aaron knows that Gage took me to the hospital.

Which means Aaron knows that Gage knows about the bruises.

Oh my god. Instantly I felt cold. The already chilly hospital didn't help one bit with the nail-biting body-shivering fear that I was feeling at this very moment.  

My mind was in a whirlwind, wondering what Aaron is going to do. Would he hit me again?

No, he promised.

But I promised. I promised that I would never be in the same room with Gage with he isn't here, and here I am. With Gage. Without him. 

I broke his promise just as easily as he could potentially break his.

"Veronica, are you okay?" My head snapped to Gage, however, I couldn't think of what he was trying to say to me. His mouth was starting to move but no sound was coming out, his mouth was moving so fast however I couldn't hear a thing--  nothing but my heartbeat that was beginning to race. 

I couldn't breathe, panicking as I tried to catch my breath but falling short. My chest started to burn as if I was being suffocated by fire. All I felt was intense agony as my panic increased with every passing moment, the fear within me becoming too much to handle. 

"Veronica!" Gage's voice broke through, my legs were violently shaking as they started to give out however my body never met the ground as Gage rapidly moved his arms around my waist, pulling me to him. "Shit, V!"

My vision was blurring as I was gasping for air, blood going straight to my head. Fear had taken over my body as well as my mind. Gage had pulled me to seats next to the side as he kneeled in front of me, his hands making their way on top of my shoulders.

"Veronica, focus on me." I couldn't think properly, my eyes not being able to focus anywhere as my vision continued to blur even further. Gage's hand surrounded my cheeks, lifting my head to his.

The sudden feeling frightened me as I tried to pull away, cries coming out of my mouth. Gage tried calming me, his swirling hazel eyes focusing on mine-- his familiar eyes sending warmth straight through the ice within my frozen body. 

"I'm here, look at me V." I did as he said, my breathing heavily uneven as I tried focusing on Gage's green eyes, his warmth from his hands beginning to warm my entire body. Noticing I was struggling to catch my breathing, Gage's face got closer to mine as he pressed his forehead against mine.

"Listen to me, V. Focus on me." I could hear Gage breathing heavily through his nose, giving me direction to follow his movement. 

Slowly but surely, my chopped breathing started to become even again. I could finally feel the air going through my body as I steadied my breathing, still focusing on Gage. 

I finally pulled away Gage, my face still red as tears I didn't know had been shed dried on my face. Gage continued to look at me, his hands wiping my wet cheeks as they stayed put. 

"Veronica?" 

"I'm okay." My voice was nothing but a whisper, even if I wanted to, my voice refused to get any louder. Despite getting control of my body, my face was still red-- I was embarrassed. 

I let Gage witness my panic attack. 

He still had not refused to let go of my face, his thumbs caressing my cheeks sending another bullet of warmth racket through my body.  His eyes searching every part of my face, my forehead, my nose, my cheeks, my chin, my lips-- all to focus dead on my eyes that were most likely still flaming red. 

He leaned his face closer to mine as he continued to massage the sides of my face. He reached up, placing a soft kiss on my forehead, sending emotions rocketing through my body, before resting his forehead gently on mine. 

"You're okay." He whispered to me, his words almost reassuring me. I let myself relax in his hands, letting my head rest gently on his head as his warmth comforted me. I felt something in his presence. 

I hummed in response, I didn't want to speak. I knew that if I tried to speak, my voice would come out even more broken than before. Just thinking of the previous moment made unshed tears reappear however they never fell, only moistened my eyes as I relaxed in Gage's hands. 

After what felt like forever, I finally spoke; 

"Thank you," I lifted my head from Gage to meet his eyes, his bright eyes slightly dimmed as his boyish grin was nowhere to be seen. "For being here." I bit my lip and for a split second Gage's gaze had followed before retreating back to my eyes. He nodded, one of his hands lowering to my chin as it massaged my jaw. 

"Always."

____________________________
woah, I'm really bad at keeping up with an update schedule, you'd think I'd have that covered after atleast 4 years.

Now I know this story isn't exactly blooming with reads/etc but the people that do read it I'm ecstatic about! Just want to say thank you guys x