eight

July 8th, 1991

Three days after Devante left for tour, I went to Uptown just to do something with my life. Madison started working at this summer camp so I was bored.

I walked in and there was Uncle Andre there to greet me.

"Hey Unc" I said.

"Hey Diana, I have to tell you something..." he said.

"What's up?" I asked him.

"I've heard about your taste in songwriting" he said.

"Songwriting?" I wondered. Devante must've told him.

"Someone told me that you knew how to write songs. So I wanna test you" he said.

"Oh..." I said.

"Come here" he said.

Andre lead me into a studio where a girl was standing. She was really pretty.

 She was really pretty

"Diana, this is Mary. She's our newest artist and our first solo female, Mary this is my niece Diana" he told me.

"Hi" I said.

"Hey" she said back.

"So since you write songs, I wanted to see what you got by pairing you up with Mary. To see what you got" he told me.

I nodded but I was confused. I wasn't into the whole writing game. Like, I just got it from Devante since he thinks I'm "so good".

"Imma leave y'all here" he said as Andre walked out.

Mary and I were in the studio and I had no idea what I was gonna do.

"So, do you have anything?" she asked me.

"Can I be real, I honestly have no idea what the hell I'm doing, my boyfriend thinks I'm so "gifted" at writing songs when I'm really not. So honestly, I don't know if I'm even cut out for this" I told her.

"Girl, I didn't think that about singing and look at me" she laughed. "It's cool, just do you".

"Thank you" I said.

"Does your boyfriend practice with you?" she asked me.

"Well yeah, sometimes we sit down and just vibe but I've never written a "real" song" I said.

"Ok let's help eachother then, what do you feel right now?" she asked.

"I feel, great honestly. Me and my boyfriend are thriving and I miss him on tour, but I really have love for him. I don't know but, whenever I think of him, I feel good" I smiled.

"Aw that's cute, who's your boyfriend?" she wondered.

"Devante, Devante Swing" I told her.

"Ooh the guy from Jodeci, I've seen him around... sis you lucky to have a love like that" she said. "But I like that K-Ci boy, he can sing".