twenty-one

continuation of July 25th

We were at the hospital waiting for the doctor to tell us the news. I had told the guys what happened so we were here. Corey was here with me consoling me. No matter how much shit me and Devante went through, I didn't want to loose him. At all.

We've been at the hospital for two hours and finally, a doctor came out.

"Family of Donald DeGrate Jr?" the doctor called out.

Dalvin and I walked over to the doctor.

"He's gonna make it" he said.

We sighed of relief. I was happy about that.

"However, whoever robbed him injured him bad. They pistol whipped him, including on his head. Donald was a hit away to suffering brain damage. He suffered many blows to the head though. They beat him up badly which caused bruises, scars, including one near his eye. They broke his nose and he has a sprained wrist. They got him up badly" he explained to us.

"How long will he be in?" Dalvin asked.

"About a week to a week in a half" he told us.

"Oh my God" I sighed.

"Is he ok to be visited?" Dalvin asked again.

"Yes, but we only want one visitor at a time. We don't want him being too overwhelmed" he told us.

"Diana, you go. He probably wants to see you the most" Dalvin said.

"I-I couldn't, you're his brother. You should go" I said back.

"No, Diana go" a voice said. It was Corey.

"Corey I-" I started.

"I know y'all had something going on, you care way too much for him. Just go, it's fine. I'll be here when you wanna leave" Corey told me.

I nodded and walked into the hospital bed. Devante was laid up, he was sleep. He had bandages all on him, including one on his head. He had a nasel cannula going though his nose.

I covered my mouth as I saw him. Tears were going down my cheeks again. It pained me to see him like this. I sat down next to him and looked at him.

"Damn De, they really did you like this" I said as I looked at him.

He obviously didn't here me but I still wanted to talk.

"I'm- I'm so sorry I didn't go. I should've went. Maybe this all could've been avoided" I said as I was fighting back my sobs.

"Even throughout all of the shit, the drama, it all. Like I told you, I never will stop caring for you"

He just looked so- lifeless. I knew he was gonna live but I hated seeing him like this. It just brought back memories of us.

"You gonna get through it De, I know it. You're strong" I said.

"I'm really talking to you like you can hear" I laughed. "But... you gonna get through it, I know you are".

I held his hand and I sighed. My eyes started to swell and I rubbed his hand.

"I love you just because, I love you just because, just because I do..." I sung as I sung Just Because by Anita Baker.

"My darling you"

I felt De's hand move and he held my hand. I sat there and I held his hand like it was the last time I was. It was that special. It was that moment.

A/N: pulling at y'all heart strings again 😩 but yeah, De going through it. But rs, hearing about his actual robbery made me sad asl 🤧 but hope y'all enjoyed this sad ass chapter, the next one will be in lighter spirits ❤️