bad at love pt.1

michael hated love. he hated watching couples holding hands at restaurants or in stories. he hated going to weddings, he hated watching romance movies or reading romance novels.

love made him angry. just saying the word made him want to throw up.

but that's life, it's filled with love. you can't stop seeing it, or feeling it. love is everywhere, and that's what michael hated the most.

he didn't hate family love or friend love. he just hated romance love. love to him is bad luck. every time he fell in love, he wold always get hurt in different ways.

he can't count how many times girls or guys broke up with him 'just because'. he's been cheated on five times, rejected four times, pranked two times, and so much more.

what killed him most is when his friends got into relationships and he was stuck as the third wheel, or even left in the dust.

let's just say middle school and high school wasn't the best years of his life and he was so happy to leave the awful place when he graduated.

it was only three weeks until valentine's day, and the thought almost made michael throw up his lunch right then and there when he looked at his calendar. he didn't have to work that day, thank god. he's rather be home and stuff his face with the huge box of chocolates that are on sale for ten dollars, and watch horror movies than scan chocolates or whatever the boyfriend or girlfriend or whoever they were bought.

but of course he was still stuck doing that, but it was ten times worse on the holiday.

he sighed as the next customer placed down her stuff, which was a few groceries and a huge monkey that was on sale for fifteen dollars. walmart was a great place to buy all of your valentines gifts, the sales were definitely relieving to people who were in a relationship.

you would wonder why the sales weren't as great for christmas since it's such a huge holiday but walmart is all about the money. well, his boss is.

"your total is forty two dollars and sixty cents." michael sighed.

the young woman chuckled, and raised a eyebrow. "are you tired or just have a horrible attitude?"

"maybe both, i'm not sure." michael responded with a small smile.

the woman laughed, sliding her credit card and entering her pin. michael ripped the receipt from the machine, handing it to the woman with a 'have a great day," and continued his shift until it was 7pm.

but of course his boss said he had to get this once customer since the rest of the cash registers were a bit busy. michael groaned, rolling his eyes and rubbed his face.

he just wanted to go home and eat the frozen chicken nuggets in his freezer. how hard was that to understand?

but when he saw the costumer, his breath hitched and his eyes widened.

the boy had the bluest eyes he's even seen, slightly pale skin, curly golden blonde hair, and small dimples exposing themselves as he smiled.

he mumbled a 'hello' while he placed his items on the conveyor belt (or what michael calls the black rolling thingy). michael stared at the boy as he scanned the items, but not noticing the next item beeping.

the blonde caught his stare, and smirked. "i believe the barcode is on the side of the box."

michael looked down and his cheeks turned pink in embarrassment and quickly scanned the box and placed it in a plastic bag. for some reason, he was hoping the blonde was single or something. but his hopes disappeared when he saw the box of chocolates and a small fluffy white bear with a heart in his hands that said the classic 'i love you".

he hid his frown and scanned the bear and placed it in the plastic bag. "your total is thirty one dollars and twenty cents."

the blonde slid his card, punched in his pin before thanking michael when he got his receipt and walked out of the store.

michael sighed, turning out the light from his number for his aisle, locked the cash register and clocked out. he walked out the door, and almost had a heart attack when he felt someone poke the back of his shoulder. he turned around, holding his car key tightly in his hand and turned around. he was surprised to see the blonde he just served smiling at him.

"hi," he spoke.

"um hi?" michael questioned.

"i wanted to give you something, if you don't mind." the blonde beamed.

"oh, uh, sure. yeah, why?" michael asked, confused and shocked.

"well michael, i can tell your single, but not ready to mingle. and you might not get anything, so i make it a tradition to give someone i meet who looks lonely. and that someone is you today, so i'm giving you a teddy bear." luke smiled, pulling out the white teddy bear and holding it out for michael to take.

michael's eyes widened, and stumbled over his words. he slowly took the soft bear into his arms and looked up at the blonde.

"t-thank you um, are you sure? i'm no one special. i mean-"

"i'm sure. have a good night michael." the blonde said sweetly, patting michael's shoulder and walked out into the parking lot.

when michael got into his car, he threw the bear into the passenger seat and cried.

he hated that the blonde gave him a warm feeling in his gut. he knew that feeling from anywhere, and he hasn't felt it for years. he didn't want to go back to those awful years.

he calmed down once he realized this would be the last time he saw the blue-eyed boy, and drove home and ate the chicken nuggets that were waiting for him in his freezer.

______

word count: 955