bad at love pt.2

the three weeks quickly became two, and walmart was a bit more busier than usual since the romantic holiday was only fourteen days away.

so michael's shifts changed, and he had to work even later than usual. he was fine with that since he was getting paid more, but today just wasn't his day.

he couldn't sleep last night, he has a painful headache, he ran out of his anxiety medication, his uniform didn't dry all of the way, he found a leak in his living room, and he ran out of chicken nuggets.

he tiredly scanned the items that were slammed on the conveyor belt. obviously this woman wasn't in a good mood and looked like she was in a rush.

"can you be any slower sloth?" she snapped, tapping her dark red nails on the metal on the conveyor belt.

michael's eyes widened, and he nodded, quickly apologizing and sighed in relief when he finished.

the woman rolled her eyes as she grabbed the plastic bags, and muttered not so nice words towards the green-eyed cashier.

michael took a deep breath, and the next costumer frowned at him, noticing his upset frame.

"hey don't let her bother you kid, she's just someone who has nothing better in her life than put others down so she can fell better about herself. take your time, no one is behind me." the old man said, placing a picture frame, printer, and a candy bar down.

michael nodded, quietly thanking him and scanning the man's items.

"seventy six dollars and thirteen cents is your total sir," michael said shakily.

the man handed him cash, and when michael went to give the man his cash back, he pushed his hand back and shook his head. "kept the change kid, my treat."

michael thanked him, smiling and continued his shift with a smile on his face.

❣︎ ❣︎

michael's lunch break cake quicker than he thought and he walked to the starbucks that was just down the street. he was in desperate need of a coffee to calm his nerves, and he was glad that there was a starbucks so close.

when he entered and waiting in line, he thought his eyes were playing games with him when he saw the same blonde from last night.

"since when did you work here?" michael asked, trying to remember if he ever recognized the blonde working here.

"i just started today, guess that's a good thing huh?" the blonde smirked.

michael blinked. he was clueless as to what the blonde meant and ignored it. "um i'd like caramel frappé. please."

"huh, i never saw you as a basic white girl." he chuckled.

michael just stared at him. he didn't know if that was a joke or if the blonde was serious.

"i'm kidding." the blonde quickly said, noticing the look michael had.

"i knew that." michael blurted, his cheeks turning to a faint pink.

"mhm. your total is on the house."

michael was about to pull out his wallet and he looked up at the blonde and blinked. "what?"

"it's on the house, my treat." the blonde smiled, his dimples exposed.

"dude first the bear, now the coffee? what's next? you ask me on a date?" michael joked.

"well, i would've asked you on one last night if you would've texted me." the blonde said, crossing his arms.

michael raised a eyebrow. "you never-"

"wait, was the paper not in between the heart and the hand?" the blonde asked, his eyes widened.

"um, i didn't know there was a paper."

"my apologies, i should've put it where you could've seen it." the blonde mumbled, scratching his neck.

michael nodded, and gulped. "i-it's okay."

michael knew he was screwed. he didn't want to let the blonde down and say no to the date. he didn't want to make him upset, but he also didn't want to fall in love. he was terrified of it.

when the blonde turned around to make his coffee, michael slowly backed up and ran out of the store and back to walmart. he quickly went to the restrooms and locked himself into a stall and took deep breaths, trying to calm himself.

all of the memories of middle school and high school flooded into his mind, and his hands started to shake. "no, no, no, not now please." michael whispered as tears clouded his vision.

but luck wasn't on michael's side and he cried into his shaking hands, sobs and hiccups escaping his lips. he knew he was going to get in trouble for not going back to work, and he started getting worked up over the thought of getting fired. he curled into himself and cried harder, tears rolling down his cheeks and on the tiled floor.

he heard the restroom door open and close, and he tried to hold back his loud cries as footsteps shuffled into the room.

"michael are you in here? one of the workers said they saw you run in here."

the blonde.

did he follow me here? why? why won't he leave me alone?

"g-go away." michael hiccuped.

"michael, please come out. " the blonde mumbled sadly.

michael shook his head. "n-no! just l-leave m-me alone! i-i don't want y-you h-here o-okay! just g-get away from me!"

it was silent for a moment, and he heard the door close and michael started a new round of tears.

❣︎ ❣︎

michael didn't get in trouble, which was a relief for him. his boss understood, made sure he was okay and let him go home early. the first thing michael did was pick up his anxiety medication, and took a long nap when he got home.

when he woke up, he realized how rude he must've sounded when he yelled at luke and groaned. he remembered the teddy bear and quickly grabbed his car keys, unlocked his car and grabbed the stuffed bear. once he got inside, he looked between the heart and the arm and sure enough a piece of paper was sitting there.

he unfolded the paper, typing the number into his phone and sent the blonde a message.

michael: hey, i want to apologize for earlier today. can we meet after your shift is over?

michael: btw it's michael

almost immediately he got a text back and the weight in his chest only grew more when he saw the message.

blonde dude: idk. i thought you didn't want me around you

michael sighed and bit his lip. he felt like a huge jerk for freaking out on the blonde.

michael: please? i'm really sorry and i'll explain everything. we can call this our date you wanted to take me to?

michael regretted the last part, but he really wanted to see the blonde again, and of course apologize.

after a few minutes he got a text back and his lips curled into a smile, and he quickly got dressed and drove to the pizza joint the blonde told him to meet him at.

_______

word count: 1175

(sorry that this one-shot is long. only one more part left, i promise)