ride

it wasn't michael's fault. he was just driving his motorcycle, and next thing he knew he was in the hospital with a broken arm and a cast around his neck.

he was in pain, his arms and legs were covered in scratches and bruises. he had a gauze taped to his head, because apparently he hit his head as well.

he doesn't know how long he's been here, but from the look from the nurse, it's been a while.

"it's good to see you're awake mr. hemmings. i'll get the doctor in a minute. do you need anything hun?" she asked, standing in front of the end of the bed.

"c-can i have some water? and some pain pills?" michael asked, his felt throat dry and his voice came out in a squeak.

"of course! i'll have that in a few minutes but your husband is waiting for you. is it okay if i bring him in?" she asked, walking over to the door.

luke was most likely going to be a worried mess, but michael said yes anyways, wanting to see his husband.

"okay hun, i'll send him in. i'll have your water and pills in a few." she walked out the door, and michael sighed.

he really wished he remembered what happened. either he was hit, or he fell off his bike. he thinks that if he were hit, he would have way more damage than just a broken arm and neck.

speaking of his neck, it really fucking hurt and the cast wasn't helping either.

he heard a knock on the door, and he yelled out a 'come in' which wasn't loud at all, but gladly luke heard it and rushed to his side.

"shit baby i was so worried." luke gasped out, holding his hand.

"what happened?" michael asked.

luke smiled weakly. "you rode off the side of the rode and rolled into a ditch. your lucky someone found you when they did, you almost died."

michael's breath hitched. he didn't know what he would do if he left luke alone here. well, he couldn't do anything really if he's dead.

"i-i don't.. h-how-"

"shh baby, it's okay. you're here now yeah? the doctor will explain everything." luke said softly, rubbing his hand with his thumb.

michael couldn't nod. so he squeezed luke's hand instead.

they enjoyed each other's company for the short few minutes before there was another knock on the door and luke allowed them in.

the doctor and nurse walked in, the nurse making sure michael swallowed the medicine before walking out, leaving him and his husband alone with the doctor.

"good evening mr. hemmings. how are you feeling?" the doctor asked, clicking his pen open.

"like shit." michael mumbled.

the doctor nodded. " i can understand that," he paused for a second, scanning the clipboard in his hand. "so, mr. hemmings, you rode off the side of the road, and two hours later someone had called an ambulance and we started surgery. you have a broken neck and arm, many bruises and scratches,you had a concussion, and you've been in a coma for three weeks."

michael couldn't believe it. he was confused as to how and why he rode off the side. he's a really great driver, he's been driving his motorcycle for four years now. he's even taken luke on a few rides as well.

"how did i ride off the side of the road?" michael asked.

the doctor sighed and scratched his neck. "that we aren't sure of. you could've been distracted, or maybe something chemically right didn't happen in your brain. we'll do a MRI scan soon to see if that was the problem."

michael sighed. "i don't understand."

the doctor shrugged. "things happen mr. hemmings. either if it's in your control or not. now i'm going to ask you a few questions and i need you to answer them honestly."

michael attempted to nod, but the cast prevented him to do so. he was really starting to hate it.

"what is your full name?"

"michael gordon clifford."

"what is the last date you remember?"

"july 15th, 2020."

"what is the most recent memory you have?"

"going on a motorcycle ride, then waking up here."

"how old are you?"

"twenty two."

"your memory seems to be good, for now, rest and drink lots of fluids. i'll have the nurse bring you up some water and orange juice. i'll see you in a few hours mr. hemmings." the doctor said, clicking his pen closed and tucking it into his front pocket.

"thank you doc." luke said, watching him leave the room.

luke looked over at michael, and frowned at his troubled look and teary eyes. "mikey baby, it's going to be okay. you're going to be okay. i'm going to be here for you every step of the way no matter what happens."

michael sniffled. "i love you."

"i love you more, now get some sleep. i'll be here when you wake up."

michael covered himself up with the blanket and sighed. "can you sing for me?"

luke sighed. "baby i don't know-"

"please?" michael whimpered.

luke sighed, and nodded. "shut down the gold rush in my head because we're out of work.."

_____

words: 876

i'm sorry this is shitty, i have entirely way too much happening right now. i'm going to take a break from writing for a little bit, my writers block is kicking in and i have no motivation to do anything anymore.

but wednesday i saw ed sheeran and it was great and all. thursday marked my one year clean, so i'm proud of that. i guess, i don't know anymore.

see you whenever, love you ❤︎