if i can dream long enough

michael picked up the black guitar from its stand, setting it in his lap.

it's been a while since he's played a instrument. the thought of playing music was like poison. he just couldn't do it. but today that was going to change. it's been a month, and now michael is ready to move on from his demons and the deep numbness in his chest. music was his escape, and it was about to become it again.

michael pressed his fingers against the strings and then-

no, he couldn't do it.

michael sobbed, dropping the guitar and cried into his hands. it's his guitar, his memories, his guitar, his guitar.

michael could just see him playing it. he always had the biggest smile on his face when he'd come up with the next cords. even when he got frustrated, he always managed to keep that pretty smile on his lips.

but that smile was gone now. forever. those brand new lyrics and cords were now gone. no one could make music like he could.

the piano sat in the corner and no, there was no way michael could play that. his fingers have played those keys. michael couldn't touch that piano.

he regrets ever second of their fights. they didn't fight a lot, but never could michael get those tear filled eyes out of his mind. when they weren't fighting, they were laughing. when they weren't laughing, they were dancing.

dancing.

god, that was something michael could never forget either. he would always come up with the must stupidest dance moves but didn't care, he was having fun. whether his dancing was stupid or was sinful, it still made michael smile.

the guitar was staring michael down and he couldn't take it anymore. he picked it up again, taking the pick out from underneath the strings against the neck of the guitar. michael held the pick in his hand, rubbing his fingers against the side of the white pick. the tip was dull since he always had a guitar in his hand.

then, michael played.

michael could see him everywhere in the room. memories of the boy he lost flashing across the room. he didn't stop though, he only continued and sang his heart out until he choked on his breath because god the tears just didn't stop.

this was all a twisted, and horrible dream. this wasn't real, it couldn't be. michael was going. to wake up next to him, and everything was going to be okay.

but that wasn't going to happen and michael knows it.

luke is gone. a ghost now, and michael was never going to forgive himself.

____

words: 442

another sad one because i'm in a sad mood and can't fucking sleep for the millionth time 🙃

request rules :
• no smut (as always)
• i also don't want any teacher! student! requests as well. i don't have a good experience with that and i'd rather keep those memories locked away.
• be patient!