Chapter 26

Chapter 26

-Smiling.-

I gripped on to the bed rails, crying out in pain as I felt another damn pain.

"W-Where's Louis?" I cried out.

"El, we've been here for about half an hour. He's all the way in the USA, he won't be here for a while." Jay spoke softly.

I only whimpered. I didn't want to have my baby without Louis, but I didn't want to be in pain. I only groaned out in pain and moved a hand to my stomach.

The doctor came in smiling. It made me want to punch him in the face. Why was he so damn happy? Didn't he know I was in pain? I was in so much pain and he was just smiling.

"How are you miss Calder?" He chirped.

"I'm in a whole lot of pain." I mumbled, not wanting to sound mean. Though I knew it was pointless. I was probably being mean.

"I can go ahead and give you an epidural?" He suggested and looked around at me, Jay and Fizzy.

I squeezed my eyes shut and whimpered. "I-I need to call my boyfriend first.."

He nodded. "I'll be back in just a few, short minutes." He stated before walking out.

I looked up at Jay and sniffled. "Can I have my phone?"

She nodded and quickly handed it to me. It took a while to find his number. My tears and the pain didn't make it any easier. Once I had finally dialed, I pressed the phone against my ear.

One ring. Two rings. "Hello?" Louis answered, his voice quick.

"L-Louis, I-" I let out a long cry, almost twisting in the damn bed. My free hand was turning white with how much force I was putting into squeezing the rail.

"Babe? What's wrong?" His voice rang through the phone.

I clenched my jaw. "You still have the decency to fucking ask?! I'm in fucking labor, Louis! Where the hell are you?! God knows where!" I yelled into the phone, crying out at the end.

"Eleanor, I'm sorry, I really am. I didn't think it would happen so early." He replied sadly.

"El, babe, give me the phone." Jay said and forcefully tugged the phone away from me.

I only whimpered. Louis was mine. I should be the one talking to him.

I gripped on to the bed railing again, screaming out in pain. This pain had to be unreal. This sort of pain just didn't exist. I cried out and tugged at the rails.

When Jay finally hung up, she looked up at me. "El, do you want the epidural?"

"Did you have it?" I asked and squeezed my eyes shut.

She shook her head. "No. It has risks on the baby as well, I didn't want to risk it."

I guess I'm not getting the epidural.

____________________

"Louis will be here soon, okay?" Jay said before squeezing my hand. "I'll be back as soon as I possibly can."

That was about four hours ago. It was at night. Twenty five hours since I had arrived. I hadn't been able to sleep because of the pain. I was exhausted. I was hungry. I just wanted to be held.

I laid on the bed, leaned on one side. It was awkward positions like this that made the pain a little more tolerable. I was crying. Who wouldn't be? I was alone. In labor.

"Eleanor Calder?" I heard a voice in the distance.

Louis. My Louis.

Shortly after, he ran through the door, hurrying to my side.

"El, babe, how are you?" He asked. He seemed tired as well.

I tried catching my breath as I shook my head. "I-I can't- i-it hurts!" I cried out.

He shushed me and tried to pull my hand from the railing.

"N-No!" I shouted.

He quickly retreated his hands, frowning. "I'm sorry.."

"I-I don't want you here!" That was mostly the angry pain talking.

"What?" He asked and let out a short breath, obviously taken aback.

"Leave! Y-You almost missed the fucking birth! Leave!"

He nodded slowly, a pained expression on his tired face as headed towards the door.

"Don't fucking leave!" I cried out and moved my hands to cover my face. "I-I'm in so much p-pain. E-Everything hurts. I-I just want it to be o-over!"

"It will be soon.." He murmured and barely rested his hand on my thigh.

"You're only saying that because you don't feel it!" I snapped.

He took my hand in his and sighed. "Eleanor, if I could switch places, believe me, I would. I don't like seeing you like this.." He whispered and gently kissed the top of my hand, being careful of the IV. "It hurts me. Just seeing you cry hurts me. Now imagine right now, with you in pain. And the worst part is, I can't do anything about it. I can't just make it stop. I have to sit and watch... How would you feel if you had to sit and watch me be tortured?"

"I-I couldn't.." I stuttered.

"Well that's how I am. Except I'm not being forced.. I just can't do anything about it."

____________________

Hours upon hours had passed. The pain was the same, if not worse. Jay was here now. Along with Fizzy and Lottie. Both sets of twins were with their dad, I believe.

Louis kept trying to distract me, trying to get me away from focusing on the pain. I only ended up snapping at him. It wasn't my fault. I didn't mean to do it. It just happened.

Nurses kept coming in and out. Taking my blood pressure. Checking the dilation. It was all very tiring.

It wasn't long until we moved into the third day of being here. That was three days with no sleep and it was tearing me apart. It was like I was being eaten inside out.

The only thing I had been able to eat was jello. Every time I would start eating, a contraction would hit and I just couldn't eat.

I had started to come down with a fever, too. It was worrying the doctors. They were afraid that I'd pass it to the baby. And the worst part was, I wasn't dilating. It was as if Posey was ready to come out, but my body wasn't letting her.

I laid on the bed, crying and shivering. My forehead held beads of sweat that had been building up for the past few hours.

Louis was right by my side, ignoring my outbursts and telling me it would be alright. He kept telling me what a good job I was doing.

It wasn't until the afternoon that a nurse came in to check on me. Her eyes widened and she quickly left.

"W-What's happening?" I asked as she left, my voice hoarse and strained.

Louis was well alert now. "I don't know, Darling. Mum, can you go check?" He asked.

Jay nodded. But as soon as she got up, the doctor came in. He checked a few things before speaking. "It appears that the baby has now caught the fever. Her heartbeat is slowing down and you aren't dilated enough to begin pushing. We will have to do an emergency c-section."

My heart dropped. This wasn't happening. It couldn't be happening.