Chapter 27

Chapter 27

-Posey.-

I laid on a bed, staring up at the ceiling. We were in a different room now. Louis was clad in doctor apparel, along with a mask. He had gloves on and everything.

I was scared. We were both scared. I could tell by the way he hung on to my hand and the look that was on his face. We both knew what was going on. Either this worked, or something went wrong and our baby was no more.

The good thing was that I wasn't feeling any pain. They had numbed me so I couldn't feel the cut they'd have make. There was a small curtain that blocked my view to my stomach. They had asked if I wanted to watch, but I said no. I didn't want to throw up whilst giving birth.

On the monitor, two heartbeats were heard. One of which was gradually slowing down.

The doctors informed us that they would begin before they began crowding around me.

Louis' eyes would move from my face to the other side of the curtain. The doctors would talk amongst themselves, saying what needed to be cut or left alone.

It was about a half hour in that they began to move faster. As they moved faster, my heart accelerated. Louis now had his eyes glued to what was on the other side of the curtain.

"That's the head! That's the head!" One of the doctors called out.

From that moment, I began crying.

"Here she is. Here she comes." Another doctor said.

Then Louis gasped. His eyes began spilling tears. Shortly after, a cry was heard.

Oh, what a beautiful cry it was.

The doctors chuckled while two remained working on my stomach.

"Do you want to cut the umbilical chord?" One of the doctors asked Louis.

He nodded and let go of my hand to go cut the chord. When he returned to where I could see him, the fingertips of the gloves were red with blood. He used his forearm to wipe his eyes before moving the mask away from his mouth, tainting it red.

"She's beautiful." He whispered and leaned down to peck my lips.

I let out a soft cry. She was finally here.

Moments after, a nurse walked over to me with a little bundle. She held the crying baby next to me. She was wrapped in some sort of paper.

I let out a small noise of happiness and lifted my head the slightest to look at her. Her little hands rubbed at her own face. Her skin was a shade of red.

"Did you guys have a name chosen?" The nurse asked.

"Posey.. Posey Jay Tomlinson." Louis spoke up and wiped his eyes again.

She nodded. "Okay, I'll bring out the papers for you to fill out. Now, Posey was born with a low fever, unfortunately. So we want to put her in an incubator for a little while."

I sniffled and nodded before resting back. As the nurse took my baby girl away, I looked up at Louis.

"We did it.." I whispered.

He nodded and leaned down to kiss my lips softly. "I love you so much, baby. I'm so proud of you.."

I heard Posey's faint cries. I'm not sure why they were faint. Then my eyesight started to grow blurry. I only watched the figure that was once Louis move around. And that's the last thing I remember before it all went black.

____________________

"You're so beautiful.." I heard a soft voice say.

I couldn't open my eyes. They were just too heavy.

"Prettiest I've ever seen." The voice continued.

I concentrated on the voice. It seemed so familiar.

"Oh, you're okay. You're okay." It was Louis.

Then, a small whine was heard. It wasn't a whine that would belong to an adult. It was a cry that belonged to a baby. My baby. Then I realized that there was this hole in my body. Like I was missing a part of me.

It was then that I willed my eyes open. Even though they were open, they still drooped. My vision was much too blurry. All I saw was a figure move slowly around the room.

"El? Are you awake?" The figure asked, moving over to me.

I lifted a hand to rub at my eyes in attempt to make my vision clearer. It worked, to some extent. But I slowly began to regain my vision.

"Look, babe.." He whispered and moved his arms in an angle to allow me clear vision of Posey.

I smiled. She really was beautiful. "Can I hold her?" I asked softly.

Louis nodded. He then carefully placed her in my arms. She was so tiny and soft.

Then when her leg moved against my stomach, I felt the pain.

"Are you okay?" Louis asked with a frown.

"Take her, please. Take her." I whispered quickly.

He only nodded and took the sleeping child from me. I leaned back and squeezed my eyes shut. The burning sensation lingered for a bit. When it finally faded, I opened my eyes to find Louis staring at me.

I slowly lifted the covers to see why that had hurt so much. I slowly lifted up my gown and frowned. My stomach was wrapped in a gauze. Blood had started leaking through, though.

"It's the cut they made to get Posey out, babe." Louis whispered.

I looked up at him and nodded. Then my mood completely changed. I'd have an ugly, big scar on my stomach.

Louis seemed to read my mind. "It won't be that bad. Just a small little line."

I nodded with a sigh. "Where are the papers we need to fill out for her?" I asked, in hopes of changing the subject.

"I already filled them out, darling." He murmured softly.

"What? When?"

"Yesterday."

"Yesterday?" How long had I been out?

He only nodded.

"I had Posey today, Louis."

"You had Posey yesterday. They kept her in an incubator until around twelve today. While she was in there, I filled out the papers." He explained.

My eyebrows furrowed. "What time is it?"

"A little after four." He stated before correcting himself, "A little after sixteen."

I smiled softly. "I understand the time either way you say it."

He grinned sheepishly. "Sorry.."

I rubbed my eyes. I whimpered at the emptiness I felt within myself. Louis was right by my side, alert.

"What's wrong? Do you want some more pain medication?" He asked all too quickly.

I shook my head. "I-I feel empty." I whispered and looked up at the pink bundle in his arms.

He frowned and reached down to grab my hand. Unaware of what he could say or do, he changed the subject. "Babe, my mum wanted me to ask you if they could come visit."

I nodded yes.

"I wanted to ask you if the boys could come as well."

"They're here?" I asked softly.

He nodded. "They're with my mum now, I think. They just flew in."

I smiled softly before nodding.

He grinned. "You're the best, El."

I let out a soft laugh, hiding the pain I felt at the slightest movements.

About an hour later, loud laughs and talking were heard in the distance.

Louis smirked and looked up from Posey. "They're here."