The Quest: Chapter 3

"Alannah! Come to me, child." Gandalf called out to Alannah by the river. He propped his staff against a tree and waited as she timidly walked out from the thick foliage behind him, plopping herself in the dirt next to him. Her hair hung in wet curls around her shoulders, drenching the tunic that she had quickly pulled on a few moments ago.

"Legolas saw me." She spoke quietly, keeping her head down to hide her embarrassment. Gandalf chuckled, causing her to look at him confused and irritated.

"What was the use of this charade if you weren't going to make sure no one found out?" She asked demandingly. Gandalf gave her a stern look, reminding her to keep her calm.

"Before we left Rivendell, when this fellowship assembled to embark, do you think some of the men up there would have agreed that you join on such a journey?" He picked up a pebble near his feet, rubbing the smooth stone over with his thumb before carelessly tossing it into the river. Alannah thought for a moment before shaking her head, knowing full well that most, if not all of them would have opposed the idea.

"Precisely. You're here now and they've seen you can keep up as well as the best of them." Gandalf's brow furrowed, thinking back to each man. "You may garner some grief from the dwarf but pay him no mind, surely he can't resist travelling with someone as fair as you my dear."

Gandalf began to chuckle as he nudged her with his foot, bringing forth a small laugh from her as well.

"And Boromir?" Alannah asked curiously. "What did he say?"

Gandalf huffed. "What he says does not matter. He is a good friend to you, I know, but he is not your keeper." The two sat in silence once again, listening to the gentle babbling of the water that flowed past them. Alannah rested in the peacefulness of her surroundings, wishing that they could stay there longer.

"I know." Gandalf said as he stood, placing his weight on his staff and extending his hand to help Alanah off the ground.

The pair slowly walked back up the hill, Alannah staying close behind him. She dreaded returning to the camp to face Legolas, as well as the rest of her companions. She hurried over to the hobbits, sitting next to them as they devoured their food. Sam kindly offered her a plate, surprised at the sudden revelation of her true self.

"You should eat, ma'am

"You should eat, ma'am." He stammered. "We've had our fill." Alannah accepted the plate and quietly thanked him. She nibbled on a small bite of sausage as she became more acquainted with the friendly hobbits, careful not to look in Legolas's direction.

Soon, the sun began to set and it became apparent they would camp there. The hobbits all laid close together appearing as children as they drifted to sleep. Alannah was not yet tired and made her way over to the rest of the group, taking deep breaths as she approached them.

Aragorn had fallen asleep at the edge of camp, away from everyone else as well as Boromir. Gandalf sat on the same rock, smoking his pipe weed as Legolas stood perched on a high rock still keeping watch. He barely allowed himself to look over his shoulder as he heard her small footsteps approach and stop next to Gandalf.