The Quest: Chapter 19

The sun rose on the cold winter morning, shining its light over the land of Gondor. Alannah slowly began to stir out of her slumber, the scent of trees and fresh grass drifting into her nose. Her lips turned up into a smile as she knew that the familiar scent only belonged to one person who happened to be lying beside her. She moved to rest her head on his chest, listening to the soft drumming of his heart. With each beat she felt she could easily slip back to sleep but kept her eyes open, admiring his sleeping face. After a few moments he opened his eyes to see Alannah's green orbs staring at him.

"This will be the best thing to wake to for eternity." Legolas softly spoke as he tucked a piece of loose hair behind Alannah's ear. As she smiled, Legolas watched the morphing of her facial expressions, even the minute details to remember. Alannah sat up in bed and bent down, catching his lips in her own. She lay back onto her pillow and pulled the blankets around them, remembering she was to go to the Houses of Healing.

"We should just stay here." Alannah joked. "It's warm and I have no need for anything outside this room." Legolas pulled the blankets over their heads and pulled her close to him. He enveloped her in a deep kiss, letting his tongue meld with hers. The morning light cast a warm glow between the blankets, creating a soft and comforting world for them to linger in.

"Perhaps we could reside here. I proclaim you Lady of the bed linens! But whatever would we do if we were to get bored?" Legolas purred. "There's only so much in this small kingdom you've created meleth nin." Legolas began kissing her neck, enjoying the tension he could feel rousing within her.

"I'm sure we could figure something out." She choked out, taken by his advances. Legolas let his tongue drag against her collar bone before pushing his lips back to hers. It was all too tempting for her as she felt him instinctually push his body closer and she politely pulled away. Legolas easily picked up on her cue and instead laid on the pillow and pulled her back onto his chest. He pulled her long braid loose and smiled as her dark waves spread across the bed. The couple felt serene and peaceful as they lay together on the bed with the warm rays of sunlight pouring onto them.

"The night of the celebration in Rohan, an old friend from home visited me in the night." Legolas revealed.

"Is everything ok in the woodland realm?" Alannah asked worriedly as she sat up in bed. Legolas pulled himself up to sit beside her, smiling as he held her hands.

"All is well. My father's forces are staving off orc attacks each day but I am certain they will persevere. We always do." Legolas's eyes drifted down to Alannah's bare neck again and his lips were drawn to it like a magnet as he began placing soft kisses on her skin. "By now, my father has received word of our betrothal. I'm sure my father is preparing the largest feast the Woodland Realm has ever seen."

Alannah squealed from joy as she wrapped her arms around Legolas and jumped into his lap. He was slightly taken aback by her excitement but he quickly matched her enthusiasm. Legolas stood, easily lifting Alannah into his arms and walking out onto the balcony. The cold wind whipped their hair around each other as Legolas lifted her to sit on the balcony rail. Alannah took Legolas's face in her hands and held it close to hers. They couldn't help but smile at each other between kisses and whispers of affection as they stood out in open view, wearing only their bed clothes.

Suddenly, Legolas whipped his head to the side and pulled Alannah back into the room.

"Someone is approaching the door. They're only a few paces down the hall." Legolas whispered. He quickly pulled on his leggings and blue tunic before producing a modest robe out of the armoire for Alannah. She was grateful for the respect he had for her modesty and reputation as she watched him rapidly smooth out the blankets on the bed. The knock on the door broke the silence in the room as Legolas casually walked over to open it. Aragorn stood in the doorway, finally appearing well rested for once.