The Quest: Chapter 12

Legolas rushed to Alannah as she lay unconscious on the floor. He checked her breathing and quickly pressed two fingers to the side of the neck, relieved to find her heartbeat's steady rhythm.

"I'll see you soon, meleth nin." Legolas whispered as he carried her to the bed. He pulled the blankets tightly around her body and stepped back, watching her sleep seemingly peaceful. The longer he observed her, the heavier his eyes grew when he realized he hadn't slept in days, or bathed. He quickly heated several large kettles of water and dumped them in a tub on the other side of the room, similar to the one in Eowyn's chambers. She shifted slightly under the covers as he emptied the last potful so he quietly moved to her bedside to see if she would awaken.

"Alannah?" He whispered as he stroked her cheek. She made no movement or indication that she would wake and it was clear to him that she was in a deep, enchanted sleep that no one could interrupt. Legolas checked for a lock on the door but found none and decided he would just have to listen intently for any footsteps outside in the secluded halls.

Legolas made quick work to undress, looking back at her sleeping form once more as he pulled his pants off and set them on a nearby chair before carefully sinking his body into the hot bath. He scrubbed away any dirt from their travels and laid back, submerging his head beneath the water. Legolas remained there for several minutes, holding his breath with ease as he thought of Alannah. He felt himself foolish that he could have ever believed her to be a man upon their first meeting and wondered what his father would think of her. Thranduil was always protective of his son but Legolas believed that surely he would love whom his son loved. He thought of their intimate moments, too few but precious to him, especially inside the tent in Lothlorien. Legolas felt himself becoming aroused before opening his eyes to see Aragorn's blurry figure hovering over the tub. Legolas quickly lifted his head from the water and covered himself with his hands to see what his old friend needed.

"Goheno nin, Legolas. We need you in the main hall." Aragorn stated quietly as he walked over to Alannah's bedside. Legolas stepped out of the tub, still bare as he walked over to join him. Legolas had known Aragorn for over sixty years now and modesty was a thing of the past as the two thought of one another as brothers.

"Did she take the contents of the vial?" Aragorn asked as he carefully fluffed the pillow under Alannah's head. Legolas nodded as he reached for a linen to dry off with and quickly began to pull on his pants.

"I assume she will be sleeping for quite some time. Is Gandalf awake? I wish to speak to him about our vows. Perhaps if she is well tomorrow we can marry." Legolas smiled as he buttoned his tunic and began to rebraid his hair. His smile fell as he saw the serious look on Aragorn's face.

"There are two children that arrived, fleeing from the uruk-hai pillaging and burning of their village. Saruman's armies are moving in. I'm sorry mellon nin." Aragorn handed Legolas his jerkin and boots, standing in silence as Legolas slowly pulled them on. Legolas knew what it meant, for elves do not normally marry in times of war. An event should be filled with joy and peace, not fear and sadness. Especially the thought of consummating a marriage that would result in a child in a time of war was enough to break Legolas's heart as he looked upon his slumbering beloved. He kissed her hand and apologized for leaving her, promising to return to her side quickly as he followed Aragorn out of the room and in the direction of the main hall.

~

Alannah lifted herself off the floor, sure that she had stumbled and tripped on something only to see Legolas lifting her body from the floor and placing her in bed. She stood in front of herself and Legolas realizing that it had already began. The room began to quickly fade around her and soon, she stood in darkness unable to see or hear.