The Quest: Chapter 28

Legolas slipped into the throne room unnoticed just as Thranduil was beginning the announcement. He kept out of sight as he waited to hear his father speak about what he had hoped for since he first kissed Alannah in the woods. His father stood straight and proud, speaking elegantly as if nothing had happened.

"My son Legolas, your prince will wed the eve after tomorrow during the full moon. I expect the wedding feast to be the grandest this realm has ever witnessed and their every whim to be fulfilled. As many of you entered my halls I could hear the hushed whispers amongst you concerning his betrothed." Thranduil paused for a moment, commanding their full attention. "If I hear any hint at the misinformation that was brought into this kingdom, I will deal with you personally. From this moment on she will be referred to as Lady Alannah. She will be the Lady of the Woodland Realm upon her marriage to my son. She will be revered as my blood and my daughter. As I said before, there is much work to be done and if anyone takes issue with what I have just said, leave my kingdom at once."

The throne room was silent as every elf in attendance obediently bowed before him. He nodded as he dismissed them, satisfied to see them hurrying to begin the arrangements. Once the throne room emptied, save for the few elven guards that remained at the doors, Legolas approached his father.

"Do either of you have any special requests?" Thranduil asked as he waived over an attendant. The elf was quick to stand next to Thranduil, parchment and quill in hand.

"No ada. Anything you choose will be fine. Except make sure there are lilies, they are her favorite." Legolas answered. The elf quickly scribbled down the request as Thranduil quickly added several more things that needed to be prepared. Legolas paced slowly back and forth as he listened to his father list off numerous things Legolas didn't even think of. The extravagant menu, invitations, massive amounts of wine, numerous candles, plenty of music and dancing as well as their wedding attire.

"I know Tauriel took her measurements upon her arrival. See to it that the dress is made exactly according to her liking. While you're at it, she'll need something for the wedding night and some new clothing. As my kin she will not be wearing the rags she came here with." The elf nodded while he continued scribbling, flipping over the parchment when he ran out of room. With the king's approval, the elf quickly left to ensure everything would be done immediately. Legolas raised his eyebrows as his father handed him a glass of wine.

"I didn't realize there would be so much to it ada." Legolas remarked as he sipped from his glass. Thranduil ran his thumb over his staff, remembering his own wedding day many years ago.

"It's not just any wedding ion nin. We are royalty thus it will be a royal wedding. Upon the day of the ceremony, I will see to it all her belongings are moved into your quarters. Let me know if there is anything else that you will require." Thranduil stepped down from his throne, noticing the spring buds on his crown beginning to bloom.

"Where are you going?" Legolas asked, not knowing his father to leave the throne room so early in the evening. Thranduil looked away from his son, still mulling over his own thoughts.

"We will hold all tradition in the ceremony and there is some business to attend to. The father of the groom always bestows upon the bride, a gift. I'll need to be in my chambers for the remainder of the evening." Thranduil put his hand on his son's shoulder before walking away. It had been quite some time since a wedding had been performed in the Woodland Realm, and he quickly realized Alannah would not have any parents present.

"Wait ada!" Legolas called as he caught up to his father. Thranduil listened intently as Legolas made one last request for the once in an eternity ceremony. Thranduil nodded and kissed his son on the cheek before closing himself up in his private chambers. The King retrieved a box from beneath his bed and sat at the table, pouring himself a large glass of wine to help him decide on what he was about to do. Carefully, he opened the box and the dark room seemed to gleam from the brilliance of the it's contents. Thranduil gazed at the white gems for some time before finally pulling them out, handling them with as much care as you would an infant. He stared at them before clutching them to his chest, a pained whimper escaping his lips. The pain of losing her never left him and while the gems were something he treasured as the last memory he had of his wife, he remembered something more precious she had left him with. Delicately, he removed a small white gem from the necklace and opened the door to his chambers, calling for one of his servants. They arrived quickly as he placed the precious gem in the elf's hand.