The Quest Chapter 44

**Make sure to vote & leave me a review! Thank you to all my loyal readers!**

"I will miss you ion nin. I have no doubt that you will excel at fatherhood, more so than I did." Thranduil said as he readied his horse for his travels back to the Woodland Realm. Legolas lovingly embraced his father, not understanding of why his father felt that way.

"Why say such a thing, ada? You are an amazing father and I strive to be as great as you." Legolas responded. Thranduil placed his hand softly on his son's cheek, a soft smile growing on his face.

"Take care of Alannah and little Oryn. If there is need for anything send word to me. I will see you soon." Thranduil said as he turned his horse and stampeded in the direction of the Woodland Real with his guard. The king could feel the wetness of tears cascading down his cheeks and was grateful that his guard knew not to address this emotional display, let alone look in his direction.

~

"How are you feeling?" Tauriel asked as she rocked Oryn in her arms. Alannah stepped out of the bathroom combing her wet hair with a linen wrapped tightly around her body.

"To be perfectly honest, I feel better than I can remember. Perhaps only just a little more tired than usual." She answered honestly. Alannah felt no soreness or aches that she assumed she would have, still having to remind herself every now and again she was an elf with unique abilities compared to mortals. "In fact, I feel well enough to go for a ride with Legolas. Will you care for Oryn for us? We won't be long." Alannah asked, knowing Tauriel would oblige.

"Of course. We will be right here when you return my lady." Tauriel said with a smile, happy to serve. Alannah dressed quickly and went down the stairs in search of Legolas while the happy look on Tauriel's face quickly fell. Caring for the infant was not the problem for her but being in Ithilien serving Legolas and Alannah was more painful than she could have ever thought. Through tears and confusion, she rocked little Oryn to sleep and watched over him until they would return.

~

"Bless my eyes! What a strong lad!" Gimli exclaimed as he held little Oryn in his arms. "I can't believe a weak elfling such as yourself had a hand in his begetting." He joked as he nudged Legolas in the side. Legolas smirked as he raised his eyebrow at his dwarf friend.

"I'm sure it would be terribly difficult for you to believe such a thing, you haven't a beautiful wife of your own to know of such activities that would bring forth a child. Would you Gimli?" Legolas jested. The two friends laughed loudly with one another until Alannah cleared her throat from across the room.

"Forgive me dear Alannah, we shouldn't jest about such things in front of a lady." Gimli managed to say through his laughter. She smiled in return, herself stifling her own giggles.

"How long will you be visiting Gimli? You know you are welcome here anytime." Alannah asked, happy to see her friend and saddened to know he would be leaving soon.

"I shall be heading back this evening. I just dropped in to meet this little one." Gimli explained as he passed the infant back to Alannah. "There is always work that must be done. I will be sending gifts to little Oryn once I return to Erebor. I've grown tired of that big white city of Minas Tirith. I'm most definitely ready to rejoin my kin. "

"You really shouldn't, Gimli. Your friendship is all the gift I could ask of for him." Alannah urged as she leaned down to kiss Gimli's cheek.

"Well lassie, he'll have my friendship til death! And I would be remiss to not shower such a strong boy with all that Erebor has to offer." Gimli exclaimed loudly. Alannah jumped a bit at his ferocity, having grown accustomed to the softness of elven life.