The Quest Chapter 46

Legolas and Alannah watched as Oryn grew over the next five years into an adventurous and kind young elf. The child was a quick learner as most elves are, picking up various skills with much ease and enthusiasm. The two parents took great joy in teaching him how to write in the Tengwar script, sing and play music as well as how to shoot a bow with as much precision as his father.

The few years that had passed felt as if they were mere days to Alannah, now having the full understanding of life as an elf. Not only did she come to realize the difference in how time passed for her compared to her mortal friends, but she had finally mastered her own elvish traits and abilities. She could scale any tree as easily as Legolas, see and hear with acute precision as well as feel all the emotions of the nature that she was surrounded with. Finally, the wisdom of the Eldar was with her as she lived her life alongside her husband and son in Ithilien.

"Ada, when will grandfather be back to visit?" Oryn asked Legolas with all the excitement a young child would have. Legolas chuckled as he held his son's small hand in his while they walked through the beautiful forests that surrounded their home.

"Gandalf was just here last week ion nin, and my father the week before that. Which one is it you speak of?" Legolas acquired, his heart warmed that his son was surrounded with so many that loved him.

"Either one, I guess. Why can't they come live here with us? At least closer. Perhaps with uncle in Minas Tirith?" Oryn suggested. Legolas pushed Oryn's long blonde locks out of his face so he could admire his sons wide, green eyes.

"They're both very important and have matters to attend to. Don't worry, I'm sure one or the other will be along to spoil you more than you already are." Legolas joked as he tickled his son in the side.

Tauriel and a handful of the guards came upon the playful father and son and stood to the side, awaiting to be addressed by their lord.

"Tauriel!" Oryn exclaimed, excited to see his friend. Tauriel smiled softly at the child whom she had come to love dearly.

"I dare not intervene child!" Tauriel laughed as she watched them play. She gave Legolas a slight nod, indicating she needed to speak to him privately. Legolas quickly kissed his sons head before handing him his bow and quiver and directing him to a nearby tree for target practice.

"Take your time ion nin!" Legolas instructed, knowing it would keep Oryn occupied while he discussed what seemed to be a serious matter with Tauriel. The elven guards quickly dispersed, surrounding the area the Oryn was sending arrows through the air.

"What is the trouble Tauriel?" Legolas asked quietly as he studied Oryn several paces back. Tauriel leaned in closer to him.

"It's Alannah, my lord. She has been acting strangely today. I think you should go to her." Tauriel explained, keeping her eyes to the ground. Legolas nodded before approaching Oryn and kissing the top of his head.

"Stay with Tauriel. I'll see you in an hour at home." Legolas said before quickly sprinting through the woods to his wife.

As he approached the treehouse situated in the forest clearing, Legolas could see Alannah standing outside as if she was waiting on someone.

"Meleth nin, is everything alright?" Legolas asked worriedly. Alannah had a curious expression on her face, clearly unable to express her own thoughts.

"I'm alright, I just feel so odd." She paused, reaching to hold Legolas's hand. "I know something is going to happen today. I cannot explain it. It's as if my heart is preparing itself for something. Whether it be good or bad, I do not know." Alannah answered, knowing it proposed more questions than answers. Legolas furrowed his brow as he too, suddenly felt the same as she did as if he too was awaiting something. After a few moments of silence between the two, the sound of horses hooves trotting through the forest paths could be heard.