The Quest: Chapter 43

Lord Elrond sat downstairs with Gandalf and Thranduil as they listened to Legolas sing elvish lullabies to Alannah and Oryn. After some time, the new family fell asleep and Elrond felt it was an appropriate time to speak. Hesitantly he stood and walked over to a nearby mantle adorned with Alannah's many books and journals as he cleared his throat. Gandalf leaned forward and exhaled deeply, feeling as if he had held his breath for a lifetime. Thranduil felt the sudden change in atmosphere in the room and abruptly stood from his chair and walked over to Elrond.

"Speak now. What could possibly be so grim on such a grand night?" Thranduil said in a commanding tone. Elrond exchanged a knowing look with Gandalf as he turned to face the elven king.

"There have been many times my gift of foresight has brought me both great joy and deep sorrow, today my gift delivered the latter." Elrond said as he forced himself to sit calmly. Thranduil looked to Gandalf, dissatisfied with Elrond's answer.

"This is of concern to my kin and I do not take this lightly. What was foreseen?" Thranduil asked, holding himself back from raising his voice.

"It is not as much what I saw, but what I heard. And I heard the heartbroken cries of a mother, Alannah's cries. As well as felt a deep sorrow and loss. At that moment I left Minas Tirith and rode to Ithilien, finding Alannah beginning the early stages of her labor. I feared the worst." Elrond finally explained. Gandalf stood and silently crept up the stairs and slightly opened the bedroom door to view the sleeping family, sneaking a peek of a tiny pink hand curled up onto Alannah's breast. Satisfied, the wizard made his way back down the stairs to rejoin the elves and began to light his pipe.

"Everything seems to be quite in order though, Elrond. Mother and child are healthy. Do you think this time you may have been mistaken?" Gandalf asked, unable to bring himself to fathom such a thought.

"Never have my visions been wrong." Elrond said firmly. Thranduil stomach churned at the thought of something tragic occurring to the child, a child he already loved but had yet to see with his own eyes. He opened the front door and whispered to one of his guards, commanding them back to the Woodland Realm.

"I wish to hear no more of visions. As Gandalf said, mother and child are healthy, and I will see to it that it remains that way. I've sent my guard with orders that a substantial number of my kingdom is to immediately relocate to Ithilien to serve under my sons rule." Thranduil stood regally, his head held high full of satisfaction and accomplishment. Elrond nodded in agreement before turning his head to the sound of the child's cries in the bedroom. Legolas appeared holding the small bundle in his arms as he walked down the stairs, glowing with the purest of joys that fatherhood could bestow upon him.

Thranduil's breath hitched at the sight, feeling as if he was looking at himself in a mirror just a couple thousand years ago. Legolas came to stand in front of him, his smile stretched proudly across his face.

"Ada, I present to you, ion nin." Legolas carefully placed the newborn in his father's arms and took a small step back to get a better look at the two of them together. Thranduil inspected the face of the baby intently, noting his pronounced elven features. The king curled the baby to his chest protectively and in a rare display of affection, placed a soft kiss on the baby's head. Elrond couldn't help but to smile at the sight, allowing his fears to melt away and be pushed to the back of his mind.

"I will go tend to Alannah's healing while young Oryn gets more acquainted with his grandfathers." Elrond announced, smiling softly to both the elven king and the wizard. Gandalf straightened up in his chair at the title, 'grandfather'. Legolas gently took Oryn from his father and finally presented him to Gandalf.