The Quest: Chapter 40

Upon arrival in their quarters in the woodland palace, Alannah silently counted back to her last moon cycle while Legolas joyously spoke about his impending fatherhood. She realized it had been almost nine weeks since her cycle, and she couldn't quite understand how she had overlooked the fact that she had missed.

"We've been traveling meleth nin and have been so busy. It just slipped our mind is all." Legolas explained, having obviously heard Alannah's thoughts. Alannah smiled as she smoothed her hand over her abdomen, both elated and shocked by the fact that a being was growing inside of her.

"I know. I'm just stunned. We've not even been wed a year." Alannah explained. Legolas gently took her in his arms, kissing the top of her head as she nestled into his chest.

"A summer child, Alannah. I have never bee happier!" He exclaimed as he suddenly pulled her by the hand to the door, unable to contain his excitement in telling his father. She stumbled a bit, her dizziness and nausea still not having settled. Legolas reined in his excitement as he moved to sit Alannah on the bed.

"Stay here. I will bring my father here so we may share this grand news with him." Legolas kissed her hands tenderly as he walked to the door, stopping and looking back once more at his wife. "Gi melin Alannah."

She looked up at him, feeling tears welling up in her eyes. "Gi melin Legolas, with all my heart."

~

"Well, a congratulation is most definitely in order." Thranduil softly spoke as he walked over to Alannah and gently grasped her shoulder. "I will host a feast to celebrate the forthcoming child at once."

Legolas could feel the apprehension rising in Alannah at the mention of such an ordeal, knowing she would much prefer something quiet.

"Thank you ada, and we are most honored. However, Alannah is still in the early stages and given her illness this morning perhaps we can do this at a later time?" Legolas asked politely. Thranduil nodded his head, understanding of the situation.

"Very well ion nin. Whatever she needs as always." Thranduil and Legolas bowed their heads to one another. "I take it the two of you will postpone your relocation to Ithilien then?"

Legolas tensed his jaw, having no intention of changing their plans.

"No ada, as soon as a dwelling is prepared we will start our life there. Perhaps our child will be the first elf born in the region." Legolas smiled at the thought of their child ushering in a new generation of elves in Ithilien. Quickly, Legolas could sense the hurt from his father from the realization.

"Very well. Rest Alannah. You're carrying royalty within your womb." Thranduil instructed as he left their quarters and made his way back to the throne room.

The king paused at the throne, staring at the seat he had ruled from for thousands of years. Although the ornate carvings were still pronounced, his long tenure was obvious in the smoothed wood. The large antlers loomed over him, making the tall king seem small in its glory. All too soon it seemed the end of his reign was drawing as he too felt his heart drawn elsewhere much like his sons. He sighed as he walked to his chambers, latching the door as it closed behind him.

So much of the world had changed and now that so much of the darkness had been lifted, the king was beginning to feel the familiar call home although he was not ready nor was it time. He sprawled out onto his large bed and clutched his wife's pillow.

"Meleth nin, our son will be a father. The world has changed so." Thranduil inhaled deeply, savoring the scent of her that magically lingered although it had been a couple thousand years since her silver head lay upon it. "When you are ready to receive me and I know in my heart you have been released from the Halls of Mandos, I will join you once again."