The Quest: Chapter 33

Alannah grew nervous as her and Tauriel drew closer to the foothills of the mountains of Mirkwood. The bright skies began to darken, and the birdsong had ceased as the two friends kept their hands on the swords at their hips. If they hadn't known better, they would have thought another storm was coming but as they looked south towards Dol Goldur, they knew it to be a storm of a different sort.

"We should turn back. If Legolas didn't want you to come here, I'm sure he had good reason." Tauriel called out as she trotted behind. Alannah ignored her suggestion, instead quickening her horses pace. She had many questions she wanted answered. What lies at the map location and who sent it to her in the first place? Why did her husband not want her to travel there? Alannah pulled out the map and glanced at it once again, realizing they were almost there.

"Come Tauriel, not much longer and we will arrive. Once I see what lies there we will turn around and be home by nightfall." Alannah promised. Tauriel pulled her horse alongside Alannah's and glanced at the map in her hand.

"We should leave our horses and go the rest of the way on foot. Take as much precaution as we can." Tauriel offered. Alannah nodded her head, noticing Tauriel was satisfied that she finally agreed to anything she had suggested. The two quickly tied their horse's reigns to a nearby tree and began walking towards the maps destination.

The forest was silent as they continued walking together, the shadows of the Mirkwood Mountains looming in the distance. Alannah noticed Tauriel glancing at her from time to time, turning her head away each time she tried to catch her.

"What is it?" Alannah finally asked, curious what her friend was looking at. Tauriel suddenly blushed, caught red handed.

"Forgive me. I've always been told about the changes after one's married but never actually seen it. Even your voice sounds different." Tauriel confessed. Alannah raised her eyebrow as she looked at her, not having noticed any changes in herself.

"What do you mean I sound different?" Alannah asked curiously, listening for the difference in her voice as she spoke.

"You still sound like yourself, but, it's almost as if I can hear Legolas's voice mingling with yours. Just the faintest of whisper barely beneath your own. It's beautiful hearing both of your souls joined in such a way." Tauriel explained. Alannah was surprised to hear what Tauriel had said, now curious to hear Legolas speak once she returned to see if she could hear it in his voice.

Soon, they came to a clearing in the woods and Alannah stopped in her tracks, sensing something. The trees swayed slightly in the breeze, giving hint of the sunlight above them. Alannah looked around her, noting the flowers lining an old, narrow path and suddenly leaned up against a nearby tree. She was suddenly overwhelmed, feeling as if she had been there before. Tauriel stood close to her, placing her hand on Alannah's shoulder as she centered herself.

"Erulisse..." The tree whispered to Alannah as if it were speaking to an old friend. Tears threatened to spill from her eyes as she quickly realized where she was. She shakily grasped the tree, overcome with emotion as she ran her hands across its bark.

"Alannah?" Tauriel quickly grew concerned for her as she saw the emotions dance across her face. Alannah pushed herself off the tree, keeping her eye to the ground as she followed the familiar dirt path.

"I've been here Tauriel. It's my home." Alannah choked out. Tauriel followed her down the path, feeling a sudden sadness closing in around them. The end of the trail led them to a small cottage, or what used to be one. Alannah looked at her family's childhood home as it lay in ruin. Vines and various plants had grown over the dilapidated fixture, the forest having reclaimed it for its own. She took a deep breath as she walked up to the door that hung from its hinges, debating on whether she should turn back. Going inside would certainly bring her one of two possible things: closure or heartache.