The Quest: Chapter 32

"What is Dol Guldur?" Alannah asked as she lay across Legolas's bare chest. He ran his fingers through her hair as they caught their breath after enjoying another round of marital pleasures.

"It lies south of here. A wicked place full of nothing but darkness and orc garbage." He responded. Alannah shifted in the bed, pulling the blankets over her chest. Something about it reminded her of stories Gandalf had told her years ago, but the wizard always stopped short while speaking of the horrible fortress as if it carried a painful memory for him.

"How long will your father be gone?" Alannah asked curiously, growing nervous at the thought of ruling beside Legolas in his absence.

"A few days, I suppose. Don't worry meleth nin, there will be little needed from us while he's gone." Legolas sighed as he rolled off the bed to put on his clothes once again. Alannah noticed the rain had finally stopped and a bit of the evening sun was desperately trying to free itself from the grey clouds in the sky. She followed suit as she began to dress, adjusting the diadem she didn't bother to take off before they made love. She walked out onto the balcony, the wet stone cool and soothing to her feet.

The Woodland Realm was indeed beautiful, perhaps the most beautiful of forests she had seen since they were in Lothlorien, but still, she missed their friends they had travelled with as they now lay dispersed across Middle Earth in their own lands and realms. Legolas stepped outside to join her, frowning as he saw the sadness on her face.

"I miss them as well Alannah. Perhaps after you've settled here for a few weeks we can travel. Gondor, Erebor, even the Shire to see the hobbits if you desire to do so." Legolas placed his hand on her cheek and pressed a soft kiss to her lips. She nestled into the warmth of his palm, grateful to be married to someone who cared so much for her.

"I'd love that." She whispered. Legolas pulled her back inside, leaving the curtains to the balcony open to allow the sweet petrichor to flow freely in the room.

"Come. We'll have something to eat before we see my father off." Legolas announced. Alannah followed him out of their room and into the halls of the kingdom, trying to learn the complex layout so she wouldn't become lost in her own home. He led her to a great dining hall that she had never been in before, having either taken her meals in the room prior to the wedding or in the king's quarters. They sat at the end of a large table and were quickly served an assortment of foods by the elves that tended the kitchens. They sat close to one another as they ate, taking turns feeding each other and whispering endearments to one another that seemed to echo through the empty room.

Several elves came in to clear the table when they finished before lighting candles and lanterns as the night began to approach. They walked hand in hand to the throne room, smiling at each elf that came across on their way. The doors to the throne room were opened for them as they approached, Thranduil beginning to walk out clad in his battle armor.

"Ada, we've come to say farewell. Are you sure we should stay behind?" Legolas asked. Thranduil shook his head as he sheathed his sword.

"Yes ion nin. Enjoy one another, watch over the realm. That is all I command the both of you." Thranduil and Legolas placed their hands on their hearts, as they always did before parting from one another. The king stopped when he passed Alannah, only nodding to her before leaving them behind in the throne room as he left to meet with Galadriel and Celeborn.

~

"How was your wedding night?" Tauriel asked quietly as she sat with Alannah in the room her and Legolas shared. "If you don't mind my asking." She quickly added, suddenly realizing the forwardness of the question. Alannah blushed as she smiled, still feeling the throbbing between her legs. Elves had come to change their bedsheets, discreetly folding the linens to hide the stains from their union.