The Quest: Chapter 21

The day after Legolas left, Alannah found herself quite bored in the great city of Minas Tirith. Gimli had left for his home in Erebor and Eomer and the Rohirrim had departed for their homes in Rohan. Aragorn had arranged transportation for the four hobbits so they could make quick and safe passage back to the Shire and all that remained was Gandalf. With no more fighting or running or strategizing, Alannah wasn't quite sure what to do with her time.

She spent most of her first day without Legolas in the throne room with Aragorn, exchanging various stories of their lives before the fellowship had formed in Rivendell.

"It sounds like a hard life, a ranger from the North." Alannah mused. Aragorn shook his head as they stepped forward to look at one of the statues of former kings.

"Yours doesn't sound as easy as you make it, but I imagine being Gandalf's ward must have been exciting." Aragorn responded. Alannah smiled as she thought back to her childhood. It wasn't all bad, Gandalf had loved her and cared for her, making sure she was safe and of course, entertained.

"It was." Alannah walked towards the black chair that still sat beneath the throne, staring at it hesitantly for a moment before deciding to sit on the stairs beside it.

"It seems so strange, not having everyone here. I've gotten use to them." Alannah thought out loud. "It's just so quiet."

Aragorn laughed softly. "It does seem strange and very quiet. No thunderous dwarven snoring or elvish quips being exchanged."

They both sighed collectively, missing their companions. Aragorn fished out a few coins from his pockets and handed them to Alannah. She waved his hand away, hating anyone freely handing her money.

"No, take it. I seem to have more than I know what to do with nowadays. Go buy yourself some things in the city. Clothes, wares, anything you want to take with you to your new home in the Woodland Realm." Aragorn pressed the coins into Alannah's palm before walking out of the throne room towards the library. Alannah frowned as she placed them in her pocket and made her way outside, pulling her elven cloak tightly around her. The sun was warm against her skin and the white tree of Gondor was now fully covered in buds anxious to flower. Spring was dawning and she could hear the birds chirping as they flew through the air. Middle Earth seemed to have been reborn since Sauron's defeat, a new age on the horizon.

Alannah picked up a dark blue gown from one shop, intending to wear it the night Legolas was to meet her and Gandalf to take her to her new home. She decided she wanted to look her best when she met his father, King Thranduil and the dark blue would contrast well with Legolas's icy blue tunic. She drifted in and out of various shops, picking up a new journal to document her new life as well as some new boots as her other ones had grown worn over time.

An escort was kind enough to carry her purchases to her quarters for her later that evening and she stashed them away in her armoire before joining Gandalf and Aragorn for dinner.

"So tell me Alannah, you must be overjoyed to have your wedding day so quickly approaching." Gandalf spoke as he sat across from her at the table. She blushed as she took a small bite of her food.

"I am, Gandalf. But I'm also nervous." Alannah admitted. She wanted nothing more than to spend eternity with Legolas, but so much was unknown to her about the Woodland Realm. Not to mention her wedding night when it came time for Legolas to bed her.

"You'll make an excellent wife." Aragorn commented. "The Woodland Realm will find a great addition in you."

Alannah smiled at the compliment before finally placing her napkin on the table. "I must excuse myself. I'm very tired." She walked around to hug Gandalf as he sat in his chair and kissed him on his white head of hair before doing the same to Aragorn.