The Quest: Chapter 18

*The Woodland Realm*

Tauriel was relieved as she finally entered the Woodland Realm after the long journey. The merciless ride to Edoras and immediately back was tiring, and she could feel the aches settling into her body as she descended from her horse. Her fellow kinsman greeted her eagerly, exhaustion also painted across their faces after warding off the latest of the orc attacks. She braced herself as she began to walk into the King's Halls, rehearsing exactly what she was going to say to him concerning his son. Although she herself was overjoyed for Legolas, she knew the King would not be happy to hear of his son's betrothal to one that was not of a pure bloodline.

As she entered the throne room, Thranduil had just changed out of his armor and into his grand, silk robes, pouring a large glass of wine as he began to settle in for the evening.

"My King." Tauriel bowed deeply before him. The King sat poised on his throne, his regality disguising the panic he felt in his heart. He was both overjoyed at Tauriel's arrival as well as pained, hoping to hear that his son made it out of the battle alive.

"What news do you have of my son, Tauriel?" Thranduil asked as he gripped his goblet tightly Tauriel pretended not to notice the tension he tried to hide as she carefully worded her response.

"My Lord Legolas is well and in high spirits. He is in Edoras of Rohan." Tauriel watched as the anxiousness left the king's body and was immediately replaced with comfort. Thranduil let out a sigh of relief and sipped his wine, his heart no longer heavy at the thought of losing his son.

"Thank you, Tauriel." Thranduil responded gratefully. Tauriel turned to leave the throne room, relieved she was able to sidestep the new information she had about Legolas.

"Tauriel, I have not yet dismissed you." Thranduil called out as he heard the anxious tone drifting on her words. Tauriel obediently returned to stand before Thranduil. "Yes my King?" She asked, bowing again.

"I've known you for over six hundred years Tauriel, since you were but an elfling. Do not fail to disclose all the information you have concerning my son. Now tell me, what more have you acquired concerning Legolas?" Thranduil's eyes narrowed at her, pressing her to reveal all that she knew. His presence was looming as he towered over her, his authority daunting. Tauriel opened her mouth to speak, hesitating at what she was about to say.

"I spoke to Lord Legolas. As I said, my King, he is high spirits. During his time away, he has fallen in love and pledged himself to marry when he is no longer of need and upon his return home." Tauriel bowed once again, keeping her eyes to the ground so she could not see the King's reaction. Thranduil found himself shocked by the news, although he did not show it, and stood from his throne to begin gracefully pacing.

"That is wonderful!" Thranduil exclaimed. "Perhaps it is out of tradition that he not ask my blessing prior to a betrothment but a joyous occasion nonetheless. What do you know of my soon to be daughter?" He asked as he gazed into the reflection pool at his feet.

"Very little I'm afraid." She stammered. "There was a great party while I was there and I assume she was present during the festivities or retired to her chambers for the evening for I did not meet her nor saw her. Lord Legolas described her as having green eyes and black hair." Tauriel replied. The King stooped over to dip his fingers into the pond, allowing ripples to form on the surface of the water.

"Her name?" Thranduil asked, looking over his shoulder at her. Tauriel could see the suspicions building in his eyes, but had little information left to give him.

"Her name is Alannah, her mother was an elf and her father, Edain." Tauriel revealed. Thranduil stood up immediately from the pond and placed himself back on his throne. A flash of disgust flashed over the king's face but he was quick to disguise it, immediately replacing it with a stoic gaze.