The Quest: Chapter 23

"Stay away from me!" She warned as she kicked dirt on the embers of the fire. Tears threatened to spill from her eyes but she held back, unwilling to let him see her weakness. Legolas watched as she began to gather her things, finding himself jumbling over what to say to her to keep her from leaving.

"Please don't go

"Please don't go. Can we speak?" Legolas asked calmly. Alannah glared at him as she glanced over her shoulder.

"No

"No. Leave me be." Alannah huffed as she pushed past him. Legolas noticed the direction she was going and smirked to himself.

"No one is in Rivendell. They are all in Minas Tirith, celebrating Aragorn's recent coronation. I travelled there myself with Lord Elrond." He announced as he leaned against a tree. Alannah stopped in her tracks, now unsure of where she should go. Alannah gripped her bow tightly as she turned around and tossed her things by the fire pit. She sat down and rummaged through her bags, pulling an apple out for her breakfast.

Legolas sat cross legged on the other side of the extinguished fire, staring at her and wishing he knew what to say. It was an uncomfortable silence between them that he couldn't bear. He had never felt tension like this before and he wasn't sure how to quell it.

"Will you hear me out?" Legolas asked steadily. Alannah tossed her apple core into the woods and wiped her hands on her pants, pretending not to hear him. His very presence brought her anger and agony. She had fought hard the past few weeks to push him far away from her mind and just when she thought she was winning the battle, he appeared dragging all her emotions to the surface. The pain stung her like a thousand bees and she knew she couldn't allow herself to let it overcome her. Alannah stood and walked away into the woods, needing her space from him already.

Legolas quickly followed her, unwilling to let her out of his sight. She found a decent space to practice her bow, although it was obvious she needed little additional training. Each arrow she shot hit its mark perfectly, her aim having become precise and accurate since their first target practice together. Legolas stayed close but kept his distance from her respectively. His heart was pained at seeing how much he had hurt her. He wished over and over in his head that he could go back and meet her under that tree in Gondor, preventing all of this. She thought she was disguising her pain with her anger, but Legolas knew her better. Inside, her heart was being broken all over again and Legolas was determined to change that.