The Quest Chapter 47

"Let's go home meleth nin." Legolas urged as he pulled Alannah to her feet. He contained his anger for her sake as he sensed Tauriel's presence behind him. Alannah glared at him through her tears when she saw Tauriel hesitantly walk up behind him.

"My lord and lady, I'm sorry. Please forgive me for my foolish behavior." Tauriel shakily voiced. The moment Tauriel touched her lips to Legolas's, she could feel how everything she had said and done was wrong and not a reflection of her true feelings. The only image that came to her mind was Kili, and by acting on her heartbreak, she had caused great pain to two people she cared for greatly.

Alannah listened as Legolas explained telepathically what happened in the clearing, ensuring his undying fidelity and love to her and only her. She nodded her head slightly before walking up to Tauriel and struck her across the cheek. The smack could be heard throughout the woods as it echoed back to them. Legolas was quick to grab Alannah before she could continue the assault and pulled her in the direction of their home.

"I'm sorry." Tauriel sobbed as she held her throbbing cheek. Legolas ignored her as she spoke, too angry to respond to her.

Once he and Alannah walked inside their bedroom, Legolas pulled Alannah down to sit with him on the bed.

"I don't understand why Tauriel would do what she did. It is not the way of the elves to ever do such a thing. Know that I had no part in it meleth nin." Legolas calmly explained as he held her hand in his lap. Alannah pulled her hand away to wipe the tears away from her puffy eyes.

"I thought Tauriel was my mellon, Legolas. I feel betrayed by her actions. But I feel betrayed by you also." Alannah answered calmly. Legolas shook his head as he stood.

"I had no part in it. I don't know how I can make you believe that. My heart is yours, our soul is one." Legolas answered desperately. Alannah shook her head as she pulled the bag of pipe weed Gandalf had given her to her lap. She held the drawstrings between her fingers and delicately let them pass through them.

"You knew Gandalf was leaving." She stated plainly. "And you didn't tell me, not even a warning." Legolas could feel the pain in her heart as he sat back down beside her.

"I did. I'm sorry I did not tell you. He asked that he be the one to tell you, only the two of you. That is why I am so angry that you came home to that display tonight." Legolas said quietly. "My intention was to be the first person you saw as you came into the clearing. I wanted to be here t comfort you." Alannah sighed as Legolas pulled her into his chest. She cried for most of the night until she finally fell asleep, exhausted from all the emotional events from the day. Legolas pulled the blankets over her and walked down the hall and stood in front of Oryn's bedroom door. He opened it a crack and peered at their son as he slept peacefully, unaware of all that had happened since he fell asleep.

Legolas pondered on what he should do about Tauriel until the early morning. Once the sun had risen, he stepped out of the treehouse and began to walk to her quarters, sorrowful that he was intent on banishing her from the elven colony in Ithilien as well as their former home in the Woodland Realm. He cared for Tauriel greatly as a friend, but as he watched his wife and son sleeping throughout the night he knew where his heart as well as his priorities lie.

"My lord Legolas." One of the elven guards addressed him as he bowed. "Tauriel left last night. She asked me to tell you to forgive her for her actions and that she has left Ithilien. She also added that she is not returning to the woodland realm and wishes for no one to search for her." The guard stated as he delivered the message. Legolas nodded his head, knowing Tauriel to be wise regardless that her actions the previous night suggesting otherwise.