The Quest: Chapter 27

Legolas passed Feren in the halls, smiling at him before entering his father's throne room. Thranduil sat his glass down on the nearby table and shifted himself to the edge of his throne. He noticed Legolas' cheerful disposition, full of anxious anticipation and quickly looked down at the floor, his heart in pain for what he was about to tell his son.

"Come to me, ion nin." Thranduil motioned. Legolas felt certain his father was preparing to give his consent and perhaps even give him some insight into married life. Legolas sat on the step at his father's feet as he did many times as a young elf, desperate for good news and eager to gain some of his father's wisdom.

"Have you made a decision father? Will you give me your blessing?" Legolas asked as he looked up at his father. Thranduil glanced toward his wine glass, knowing he'll need a full glass , or even an entire decanter by the end of this conversation.

"I love you dearly Legolas, and because of the great love I have for you I cannot give you what you seek." Thranduil looked on as his son immediately stood from the steps, a pained and questioning look in his eye.

"I do not understand. Why?" Legolas asked, his eyes pleading. Thranduil stood and began to pace slowly.

"Feren just returned from Gondor. He relayed to me information concerning Alannah and I feel it is in your best interest not to marry her." Thranduil remarked as he stood in front of Legolas.

"Tell me who spoke untruths about her and I will handle it myself. Any ill word against her is false." Legolas responded defensively.

"You mean to tell me during the quest you heard of nothing occurring between her and the captain of Gondor? A secret coupling in the woods?" Thranduil looked sternly apologetic at his son. Legolas eyes widened at the mention of Boromir, knowing exactly what he was referring to.

"You're wrong father. I'll bring her here and she will tell you what truly transpired." Legolas turned and walked quickly to the door but was interrupted by his father's voice.

"She is not welcome here Legolas. I've already sent the orders for her to be removed from our realm." Thranduil's voice rang out. Legolas turned and quickly walked back to his father.

"Why father? You would base your decision off something untrue brought to you from the world of men instead of your own son's word? Is this what my mother would have wanted?" Legolas asked angrily. "You were my father before you were my king. I wish you would prefer to be the former."

Thranduil stood speechless in front of him, but unmoved in his decision. "As much as I want your consent father, it is not required." Legolas said as stormed out of the throne room, ignoring his father's urging calls to stay.

~

Alannah combed her hair as she sat in her room, anxiously waiting for Legolas to return. A loud banging on her door caused her to jump to her feet when suddenly three elven guards walked inside.

"By the King's command, we are to escort you to the edge of the Woodland Realm. Do not return. Gather your belongings at once." The head guard ordered. Alannah shakenly laid down her comb, uncertain what she should do.

"Where is Legolas?" Alannah asked, confused and demanding to know what was happening. She stepped back as one of the guards began to approach her. Her eyes flickered to her bow and sword, too far away for her to speedily retrieve them.

"Daro!" Legolas boomed. The guards turned around and bowed to Legolas as he pushed past them. "If any of you lay a hand on her, I will have your head. Leave us." He commanded. The guards bowed once again and left the room as Legolas's glare burned a hole through them. Alannah was clearly shaken as she watched Legolas begin to pack her bags angrily.