The Quest Chapter 50

The days following Alannah's departure from Middle Earth were the most lonesome days Legolas had ever lived in his long life. After she and his father left Lothlorien, Legolas spared no time to leave the beautiful elven city and rode his horse home, unable to stand the memories any longer. Upon arrival to the tree house in Ithilien, the heartache didn't cease as every tree, room and object left a distinct trace of her. Legolas took his time assimilating to their home without his wife and son by staying inside, no longer going outside to enjoy the forest or the beautiful lands they had helped to replenish.

After a week of remaining in the enormous and empty treehouse, a loud knock on the front door early one morning startled Legolas out of his sleep. It took every ounce of energy he had to pull himself from the bed where he had clutched Alannah's pillow every night to his chest, hoping the scent of lilies and parchment would remain until he was rejoined to her once again. Legolas rubbed his eyes as he trudged down the stairs, wondering what one of the elves in the settlement could possibly need for disturbing him so early when he had given strict orders to not be disturbed.

"I asked not to be bothered right now. What is requi..." Legolas stopped speaking as he rubbed the sleep and sadness from his eyes. No one was at the door so he turned to walk back inside when a gruff familiar voice yelled at him.

"What happened to that perfect elvish eyesight?" Gimli yelled as he grumpily walked into the treehouse.

"Hello Gimli." Legolas welcomed with a melancholy tone. "I'm not up for visitors right now. I'm sorry you've travelled such a long way."

Gimli sighed as he turned and looked at Legolas. He sat down his axe and large bag and sat himself down in a nearby chair, ignoring Legolas's last statement.

"I've come to pay my respects to your boy. He was a mighty warrior and well loved." Gimli said as he wiped a tear from his eye. "I'm sorry to hear that Alannah left these lands. She was loved as well."

Legolas's always pristine posture slumped as he sat crossed legged in the floor, burying his face in his hands as he wept.

"The two people I loved more than anything in this world are gone, Gimli. My heart is pained more than I can bear!" Legolas cried. Sadness overcame Gimli as he watched his friend come undone on the floor of his grand home, a prince all alone in his palace. He cleared his throat as he felt tears threaten to spill from his own eyes while he walked over to Legolas and placed his gloved hand on his shoulder.

"Get yourself up lad." Gimli asserted. "I don't know much about you elf folk, but I hear your boy will be brought back. Am I correct in that?" The dwarf asked. Legolas nodded his head but still, the tears were flowing. "And our dear Alannah, your wife is not dead but alive. Just across the sea and waiting for you?"

"Yes, she is. But I wish she was here! She belongs here, in Ithilien with me and our son." Legolas wept as he fingered his gold wedding band.

"Why did she leave?" Gimli asked as he returned to his seat and lit a pipe. Legolas finally wiped the tears from his eyes and pulled himself to stand, still not having regained his regal posture.

"I sent her away, to the Undying Lands. If she was to remain she would have perished. You didn't see how she had become after Oryn's death, Gimli. So withdrawn and absent. She would stare at nothing for hours without speaking, barely blinking and rarely eating. I've never seen someone look so lost in their own home. Every inch of her body I know intimately, and she became a stranger. Even when we'd make love, it was as if she wasn't even here. If I was to keep her here, it would have been the most selfish thing to do. That is why she is gone. In Valinor she will be restored, she will be my Alannah again." Legolas explained passionately. Gimli let out a long breath after Legolas had finished, the information an overload to him.