Chapter 27

"I'm going to the store. Do you need anything?" I asked my dad.

Today, my dad is off of work so I get to spend the whole day with him. This is rare so I want us to spend every minute of the day together. Well besides right now. My dad is horrible at shopping. My mom and I were always the ones buying groceries.

"Get some vanilla ice cream and 2 bottles of coke. Oh and some M&M's. Maybe some chocolate chips too."

"I'm guessing we're gonna watch movies and eat ice cream all day?"

"Yepp. So cancel any plans you have with friends. This is gonna be a father-daughter day." He smiled.

Every time my dad has a day off, we watch movies, eat junk food, and sometimes we even just sit on the couch and talk to each other about everything that's going on in our lives. I really cherish those days.

"I did that yesterday when you told me you're off today. Brooklyn understood but Hailey wanted to come over still. I told her I needed to spend some quality time with my daddy."

I can't tell him about Ezra. He would freak out and threaten to hurt him if we didn't break up. Ezra knew I didn't get to spend much time with my dad, but he still thought we should spend our first full day of being a couple together. I understand where he's coming from, but I need to be with my dad. You never know when tragedy can strike.

"I'll be back in an hour or so. If you need anything else, just text me. Love you daddy." I stated, giving him a kiss on the cheek and going out to my truck.

On the way to Kroger's, "Ain't It Fun" by Paramore came on the radio. This song is a little cruel, but it's reality. When things get tough, don't go crying to your momma. That's just life. You need to get used to it.

I parked my truck and headed inside. As soon as I walked in, I could smell an ocean breeze. I looked to my right, and sure enough, some woman was selling ocean breeze scented candles. They looked homemade.

"Would you like to purchase a candle? The money will be donated to the children's hospital for the patients that can't really afford their bill."

"I would love to! How much are they?" I asked the kind lady.

"The small ones are $2 and the large ones are $5."

"I want 3 small ones and 1 large one please."

"Thank you so much! The kids will really appreciate your purchase." She stated while gently wrapping the candles in gift tissue paper.

"Well I wish I could help more but I kind of need to buy groceries. If I didn't, I would have just given you all of my money." I smiled.

"Wow! You are so kind and generous! I wish there was more people like you out in this delirious world."

"Thank you." I giggled. "I hope you get enough money to pay for some bills." I said.

I wish I could do more. Those kids need help and if they can't afford the bill, they won't be able to get the help they so desperately need.

I bought everything on my list and now it's time to check out. The man at the register kept looking at me with a creepy smile. I felt uncomfortable so I tried to switch to another check out line, but someone else beat me to it.

"I can check you out. It's no problem." The creep disgustingly said.

"Uh.... Okay." I stated, walking back to his line.

"So, how old are you?" He asked.

"Is that any of your business?"

"No, but I was just asking a simple question. You don't have to answer. I'm told to try and strike up a conversation with my customers." He stated, a little anger evident in his voice.