Chapter 40

Loren, Adrienne, Brooklyn, Ashley and I are on our way to the mall. Ashley wants to buy new clothes because she wants to dress like me. I found that very adorable. I feel all special inside knowing she looks up to me. I hope I can live up to her expectations.

"So Ashley, are you enjoying having a big sister like Kylie around?" Loren asked, trying to drive and listen to all of our conversations at the same time.

"Yes I am. My mommy also loves having a nice man around. She smiles more." She replied, playing with her Nintendo DS.

"What do you mean by nice? Was your dad mean to y'all?" Adrienne asked, truly concerned.

"Not to me. He was only mean to my mommy. He always told her what to do and yelled at her. He called her bad names too."

"I'm sorry. I'm glad y'all are away from him now." Brooklyn said, playing with Ashleys hair.

"Me too. I just wish he would actually want to spend time with me. He's always with his girlfriend Mannice and her son." She replied, slowly forming a frown on her beautiful, innocent face.

"I'm here for you, we all are." I stated, giving her a genuine smile.

"Thank you sissy." She smiled, making me feel like I matter to her.

I've grown very close to this little girl. My dad better not ruin his relationship with Mary. Not because I need them to be together, but because Ashley needs them together. She needs a family and friends, she needs us. When we parked Lorens car, Ashley ran as fast as she could towards the mall doors. Her face was priceless. She looked so happy and at peace. I hope that look stays on her face. We all just giggled and ran after her. I don't wanna have to go back home and explain to Mary and my dad that we lost a ten year old girl.

"Hurry up guys!! I see some really cute dresses and shoes!! Quit being slow like turtles!!" She shouted, putting her hands on her hips.

"Alright Miss Bossy Pants. Remember, we have a budget. We can't buy every cute thing you see." I stated, already preparing for the 'I want that' and 'Oooo can we get that one?'

I used to do that to my mom all of the time.

"I know. My mommy already told me. She said if I obey you, she will make me some chocolate brownies tonight. It's my favorite." She replied, practically drooling over the chocolaty goodness.

"Well then you better listen to me." I said, trying to sound authoritative, but failing miserably.

She just smiled and took off towards the floral patterned dresses. Loren and Brooklyn went to Starbucks a little ways from the dress boutique because they said they need some coffee in them before they can shop. I told 'em to pick me up a chocolate muffin. I've already had my caffeine for the day. Adrienne is showing Ashley how to wear a fashionable belt with dresses. I'm just sitting down on a bench watching how confused Ashley gets. Her eyebrows arch every time Adrienne mentions the name of a designer dress or belt. I let Adrienne help her with the dresses because she grew up around them. I normally don't wear dresses. Blue jeans and shirts are more in my alley. Ashley only saw me in a dress once and she said I looked beautiful. That's when she first started doing some of the things I do. I noticed it when she had the same purse and hairstyles as me. She kept following me around my house and asking me how I look and act as I do. I just told her it's from experience. I don't want her to just copy me though. I want her to develop her own style and become her own person. For now, wanting to be me is okay, but as she grows, her innerself needs to come out of it's shell.

"Kylie!! Look at me!! Don't I look like a princess?" She asked, hopeful.

"You do!! All you need is glass slippers and you would be Cinderella."