Chapter 9 - Manhattan

I blinked, pulling the hair out of my eyes.  "D-dad?" 

I listened as he swallowed then drew in a deep breath.  "I had to make some decisions." 

"Dad, where are you?"  I turned the corner, obstructing Harry's view from me, and stood in the blackness of the dining room.

"I'm . . . doing what I need to do."  His voice sounded exhausted, and his words were slightly slurred.

"What decisions are you talking about?"

"About our house."

"Our house?  What about our house?"

"We're moving."

I coudn't help but gasp.  But why wouldn't we move?  Our house is foreclosing next month, we'd have to move somewhere.  "W-where?"

"Allie, I only want what's best for you.  I'm moving in with my brother and I'm -- your going to live with your Aunt Christina."

I gripped the phone tighter in my hand as I twisted the cord around my finger.  My mind was unraveling with limitless thoughts of the new life that was soon to begin for me.  Oh, Lord.  Thank you.  Thank you so much for relieving me of my father.

"Okay," is all I could think to say.  

There was silence on the other end of line for quite some time, before he replied, "We'll be packing up for the next three weeks, since Christina and Tom are in Paris until then.  And we'll have to sell some things."

"My car?"

"Yes, your car.  I'm sorry."

"I understand."  I sigh.  Not Darcy.  Not my baby . . ..  But I shouldn't be surprised.  I saw this coming . . ..

"But I bet you'll love Manhattan," Dad brightens, attempting to cheer me up.

 "Oh, yeah.  I forgot she moved from Sacramento . . .."  I muttered dryly.  Would I really love Manhattan? It's so drastically different from Malibu.

"Well, when you fall in love, things happen."

"Yeah," I replied awkwardly.  "Tom's a great guy."

"Yeah.  He is."

More silence.  

I didn't expect this to be easy.  Just hearing his voice sends chills through my body, and I suspect that our last three weeks together will be spent apart, simply packing our things individually.

"Well," he started again, "I'll probably be home by around two.  I have some errands to run."

"All right.  Goodbye."

"Allie?"  He murmured.  I sensed a hint of hopelessness in his voice.

"Huh?"

"I -- I love you.  No matter what happens, I will love you.  I always have and I always will."

I peeled open my lips slowly, words gathering in the back of my throat.  "Thanks, Dad . . ..  Goodbye."

I curved around the corner and returned the phone to its hook.  For a moment I stared at the phone blankly, watching as the glow of its light shut off.  I blinked away the tears of joy rippling in my eyes as my grip slipped away from the phone.  

I turned toward Harry who was picking at his salad.  His body seemed tense, and I could tell he'd listened in on my conversation.  I returned to my chair and he flinched when he noticed I was present.  I couldn't help but smile.  Was there ever a time when he wasn't just completely adorable?